← Symphony of Science - The Greatest Show on Earth! A music video about Evolution

Symphony of Science - The Greatest Show on Earth! A music video about Evolution - Comments

bentleyd's Avatar Comment 1 by bentleyd

I like the content of the video, but the synthesized talking/singing is like listening to Alvin and the Chipmunks. It was cute the first time, but now it's like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Wed, 18 Jan 2012 15:16:04 UTC | #909538

Premiseless's Avatar Comment 2 by Premiseless

I liked the photoshot of DA appearing like the Godfather of The Natural World, "We have serious artillery, it would do you good to acknowledge this." along with Richard saying, " You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me" as a paraphrase of Natural Selection's in your face! Which god are you prayin' to? Very indulgent and a short sharp attention getter. Look out for more in your local smartphone neighborhood!

Wed, 18 Jan 2012 15:31:01 UTC | #909547

Red Dog's Avatar Comment 3 by Red Dog

Comment 1 by bentleyd :

Oh, yeah I agree with you, I could only listen for a few seconds once that started. Its something called a Vocoder, originally designed to fine tune the pitch of talentless pop singers to get them to sing in tune, at least on their records, but now its one of the most over used techniques in pop muzak.

Wed, 18 Jan 2012 15:35:48 UTC | #909548

MilitantNonStampCollector's Avatar Comment 4 by MilitantNonStampCollector

The vocoder is slightly cringeworthy, but I find the inspiring and beautiful content more than makes up for this.

Wed, 18 Jan 2012 15:44:26 UTC | #909553

Rosbif's Avatar Comment 5 by Rosbif

If there's anyone deserving reverence, it's the BBC Documentary cameramen (and women - thank you Stan). Stunning images show the fascinating beauty of nature as much as any technical explanation of the genes.

Wed, 18 Jan 2012 16:35:05 UTC | #909565

Premiseless's Avatar Comment 6 by Premiseless

I think the quick concept method has great mileage. Quick on the draw, incisive and making points that sear the memory in search of non sequiturs. A reasoning virus!

Wed, 18 Jan 2012 16:42:26 UTC | #909569

sbooder's Avatar Comment 7 by sbooder

Hmmm!

Wed, 18 Jan 2012 16:43:06 UTC | #909570

Sudipta Modak's Avatar Comment 8 by Sudipta Modak

Cleverly done. I have seen BBC Life, Planet earth, First life. A lot of credit definitely goes to the cameraman and BBC life "on location" featured that. There is another beautiful documentary with stunning camera performance called "Speed of life" (not narrated by David Attenborough).

Wed, 18 Jan 2012 17:09:25 UTC | #909575

snail-12's Avatar Comment 9 by snail-12

Good, especially the pictures but the tune is not as good as their Quantum world video.

link to youtube

Wed, 18 Jan 2012 17:38:21 UTC | #909580

Cook@Tahiti's Avatar Comment 10 by Cook@Tahiti

Comment 1 by bentleyd :

It was cute the first time, but now it's like fingernails on a chalkboard.

You got it in one. Now autotune that statement and put these to rest already. :)

Wed, 18 Jan 2012 17:49:07 UTC | #909587

papa lazaru's Avatar Comment 11 by papa lazaru

I cringed.

Autotune Atheists vs Christian Rock. FIGHT!

Wed, 18 Jan 2012 18:29:25 UTC | #909600

TheChrissetti's Avatar Comment 12 by TheChrissetti

Wed, 18 Jan 2012 21:01:04 UTC | #909629

wolfhoundGrowl's Avatar Comment 13 by wolfhoundGrowl

Comment 11 ... too true (I still like it though, but only in private)

Wed, 18 Jan 2012 21:51:26 UTC | #909639

Munchma Cuchi's Avatar Comment 14 by Munchma Cuchi

My daughter loves these Symphony of Science videos. I play some for her everyday. She loves to point out Richard Dawkins aka "Science", Stephen Hawking, and Carl Sagan. She also has a great deal of the words memorized. There's no sound more beautiful than hearing my daughter singing along, in perfect harmony, with Carolyn Porco,--"These beings, with soaring imagination, eventually flung themselves and their machines into interplanetary space" from the "Children of Africa" song. These videos are having a major influence on my two year old daughter, and me for that matter. Let me see if I can recall some Carl Sagan from memory. "The brain does much more than just recollect. It inter-compares, synthesizes, analyzes, it generates abstractions. The simplest thought like the concept of the number one has an elaborate and logical underpinning. The brain has its own language for testing the structure and consistency of the world." No matter how may times I had watched the "Cosmos" series, I would never have been able to recite those words from memory before I started listening to these songs. Also, the vocoder voices don't bother me a bit.

Wed, 18 Jan 2012 21:53:00 UTC | #909640

Munchma Cuchi's Avatar Comment 15 by Munchma Cuchi

Comment #12. No. You are not the only one. Big fan here.

Wed, 18 Jan 2012 21:56:21 UTC | #909642

peanutsplatters's Avatar Comment 16 by peanutsplatters

Haven't you cats learned 'If you don't have anything nice to say, then....'? These Symphony of Science videos are just another approach of secular value spreading. Bite size entertaining science lessons. How is this bad? Cause you dont like the composer's choice of instrumentation? As a composer myself I understand how much patience and craftmanship is needed to get every single word meticulously paralleled by a decently melodic choice of pitch. What's more musically important and even harder to do is to set the words in time. The Symphony of Science videos are very well done and haven't dropped the ball yet.

Wed, 18 Jan 2012 21:59:17 UTC | #909643

brighterstill's Avatar Comment 17 by brighterstill

Comment 12 by TheChrissetti :

Am I the only one who really likes the Symphony of Science series? This is one of the best. I love it too! Unbroken Thread is my favourite with Carl Sagan's line "There's an unbroken threat connecting those first cells to us."

Wed, 18 Jan 2012 22:14:38 UTC | #909650

Munchma Cuchi's Avatar Comment 18 by Munchma Cuchi

Comment 17 -- Unbroken Thread is my favourite with Carl Sagan's line "There's an unbroken threat connecting those first cells to us."

I broke this one out on my mom one day when she started talking "missing link" nonsense.

Wed, 18 Jan 2012 22:46:26 UTC | #909660

RDfan's Avatar Comment 19 by RDfan

I love these videos. The same applies to the "Feynman Series" on You Tube. Debating about music is tiresome. Some people like certain songs, others do not; get over it. Best of luck to the maker of these little musical-science videos. Because they promote science imaginatively, they're great -- imo!

Thu, 19 Jan 2012 00:57:54 UTC | #909683

Red Dog's Avatar Comment 20 by Red Dog

Comment 16 by peanutsplatters :

I'm not saying its bad, just that I can't stand autotunes and that ruins it for me. But then again it also ruins the vast majority of current pop music. I can see how many people, especially younger people and those who unlike me aren't musical snobs, would like it.

Thu, 19 Jan 2012 01:24:43 UTC | #909687

Shamit's Avatar Comment 21 by Shamit

it freaked me out

Thu, 19 Jan 2012 06:56:14 UTC | #909720

drumdaddy's Avatar Comment 22 by drumdaddy

"Perched on one tiny twig, in the midst of a blossoming tree of life." Beautifully done!

Thu, 19 Jan 2012 10:53:56 UTC | #909753

Denial's Avatar Comment 23 by Denial

Fucking brilliant. Love it.

Thu, 19 Jan 2012 13:23:55 UTC | #909783

KRKBAB's Avatar Comment 24 by KRKBAB

Comment 20 by Red Dog- I think your missing the point. I'm 54 AND a musical snob, but I love these videos. It's not "my kind" of music, but it goes well with the production very well and I could see these videos doing very well. This is a subject we need to hit society with from all different angles, no?

Thu, 19 Jan 2012 14:46:04 UTC | #909812

Red Dog's Avatar Comment 25 by Red Dog

Comment 24 by KRKBAB :

Yes, we agree. Its a good thing, because it may reach a large audience. I still personally can't stand to listen to or watch it.

Thu, 19 Jan 2012 16:12:16 UTC | #909836

Sample's Avatar Comment 26 by Sample

I have this genre of music labled as "geek pop" in my iTunes library. I wouldn't be without it. Fun.

Mike

Thu, 19 Jan 2012 16:17:46 UTC | #909837

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 27 by Stafford Gordon

Oh dear, I think I've just found meaning in my life!

Thu, 19 Jan 2012 18:49:28 UTC | #909899

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 28 by Stafford Gordon

Oh dear, I think I've just found meaning in my life!

Thu, 19 Jan 2012 21:00:49 UTC | #909959

StephenH's Avatar Comment 29 by StephenH

Well i enjoyed that :)

Plenty of others to check out as well

This one has: Neil deGrasse Tyson, Brian Cox, and Carolyn Porco

Some familiar faces: A wave of reason

Thu, 19 Jan 2012 21:55:34 UTC | #909978

HappyPrimate's Avatar Comment 30 by HappyPrimate

@ Comments 12, 17 et al I love these videos too! I have a CD of several of them that I play in my car going to and from work. Makes a nice break from the political news. I too have enjoyed learning the quotes by heart and I do enjoy the way they make it sound like music. To those who hate the sound, just don't listen then. Many more people do enjoy them very much.

Fri, 20 Jan 2012 00:27:14 UTC | #910022