← 30 Renowned Writers Speaking About God

30 Renowned Writers Speaking About God - Comments

Missus Gumby's Avatar Comment 1 by Missus Gumby

Oh dear, my authors-I-want-to-read list just got significantly longer. :)

Sun, 22 Jan 2012 16:15:25 UTC | #910728

MeganMcMac's Avatar Comment 2 by MeganMcMac

Iain Banks "Lots of people, especially in the States are basically bananas" Made me LOL. True but not exclusively true.

Sun, 22 Jan 2012 16:31:15 UTC | #910731

the great teapot's Avatar Comment 3 by the great teapot

Always leave the best untill last. Except for his good freind Martin Amis. Anyone who hasn't read Amis jnr yet I heartily recommend it.

Sun, 22 Jan 2012 16:47:01 UTC | #910733

gordon's Avatar Comment 4 by gordon

I'm glad Hitch was last. He summed up well.

Sun, 22 Jan 2012 17:51:12 UTC | #910744

drumdaddy's Avatar Comment 5 by drumdaddy

We're in good company.

Sun, 22 Jan 2012 17:53:28 UTC | #910745

Premiseless's Avatar Comment 6 by Premiseless

And when you get to the end here is Mr Mount Improbable, from where all tears pick up speed toward a common ocean. Class 2012, The Pale Blue Dot!

Upon you we place no burden, except to repeat this!

Sun, 22 Jan 2012 18:33:56 UTC | #910750

chawinwords's Avatar Comment 7 by chawinwords

Comments from many insightful and rational human beings. But perhaps the most insightful was the comment by Phillip Pullman, British author, when he basically said it was inadvisable to engage with true believers because they will not change their minds. There is much discussion now about and from some people, practicing ministers, who have lost their "faith." Somehow I think that such people were never "true believers," rather such people always had a grain of doubt, and what we call belief by faith was eventually overcome by that persistent grain of exercised reason, bulwarked by that same doubt. But back to Pullman's comment that he considered it inadvisable to engage with true believers is insightful, because doing so only gives credence to unbend-able religious insanity.

Sun, 22 Jan 2012 19:07:45 UTC | #910754

MAJORPAIN's Avatar Comment 8 by MAJORPAIN

This was a very moving piece. Seeing those people at the end stunned at what Christopher is saying was worth watching. Loved it! I truly hope he got through to a few of those knuckle heads.

Sun, 22 Jan 2012 19:38:52 UTC | #910759

aroundtown's Avatar Comment 9 by aroundtown

Feels like your thirsty and just got a long cool drink of water. I wish this could run on a loop so others might stumble across it. I loved Asimov's reason and I had run across the others views in video's and luckily in some of my personal books and they always lift me up with the strength of reason.

Sun, 22 Jan 2012 20:41:09 UTC | #910769

Agrajag's Avatar Comment 10 by Agrajag

Well done, and powerful. Thank goodness there is documentation of Hitchens; it's a poor substitute for his being here, but I find it often still takes my breath away.
Steve

Sun, 22 Jan 2012 21:41:06 UTC | #910777

HuntingGoodWill's Avatar Comment 11 by HuntingGoodWill

Asimov is only matched (and in my opinion, even surpassed) by Stanislaw Lem. Who was also an Atheist.

Sun, 22 Jan 2012 21:49:40 UTC | #910779

helena!'s Avatar Comment 12 by helena!

Excellent.

Sun, 22 Jan 2012 22:09:07 UTC | #910781

Red Dog's Avatar Comment 13 by Red Dog

Comment 11 by HuntingGoodWill :

Lem was an amazing author. I love the original movie version (think it was in Russian) of Solaris. For Sci Fi I also love PK Dick. A different kind of writer than Asimov, he cared nothing for scientific accuracy but he really got into some amazing philosophical issues.

Sun, 22 Jan 2012 22:37:58 UTC | #910790

littletrotsky13's Avatar Comment 14 by littletrotsky13

It popped into my head yesterday basically what saramago said: that Abrahamic religionists look at the story of Abraham and Isaac and consider Abraham good for showing devotion to god and god as good for saving isaac and therefore showing compassion. Most atheists look at the story and consider both as perverted for getting as far as the sacrificial altar (god for asking in the first place and abraham for saying yes to anything god says: in fact I think it's somewhere here but: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDfoJ29CR4E).

Sun, 22 Jan 2012 22:45:17 UTC | #910791

maria melo's Avatar Comment 15 by maria melo

A deserved tribute to Hitchens. A very nice video.

Sun, 22 Jan 2012 23:01:51 UTC | #910793

digofthedump's Avatar Comment 16 by digofthedump

Interesting. Thankyou. Could've done without the euthanasia music though.

Sun, 22 Jan 2012 23:12:11 UTC | #910797

elderwanda's Avatar Comment 17 by elderwanda

Just a simple observation: I notice that only three of the thirty are women. It will be interesting to see how that changes over the coming years.

Sun, 22 Jan 2012 23:57:48 UTC | #910804

maria melo's Avatar Comment 18 by maria melo

And none of the "scientists" were women, that seems not so "interesting".

Mon, 23 Jan 2012 00:01:26 UTC | #910806

maria melo's Avatar Comment 19 by maria melo

The video does not reflect the number of scientists that are women, but someone mentions that 90 per cent of scientists desbelief religion.It has been a surprise for me to see for intances Peter Singer or Chomsky in that "cathegory".

Mon, 23 Jan 2012 00:09:52 UTC | #910809

nurnord's Avatar Comment 20 by nurnord

I don't often comment on the content of RDFRS, but this has moved me to do so. Some notable contributions there - Richard, a good one from your late good friend Douglas Adams. But the reason I simply had to remark was Hitch - that clip was breathtaking and moved me to tears.

Richard - I loved your speech regarding Hitch in Texas - very well written and presented, and that poignant hug...BTW, as I have commented, I must say - please have your profile updated - it still has you as Simonyi Chair !

...a fellow evo bio (PhD).

Mon, 23 Jan 2012 00:22:20 UTC | #910811

maria melo's Avatar Comment 21 by maria melo

A funny remark about the discovery of an hominid that in fact was a woman and it´s representation is also curious

Mon, 23 Jan 2012 00:22:27 UTC | #910812

prettygoodformonkeys's Avatar Comment 22 by prettygoodformonkeys

We are so lucky to have had Christopher.

Mon, 23 Jan 2012 05:06:39 UTC | #910849

Premiseless's Avatar Comment 23 by Premiseless

Comment 8 by MAJORPAIN :

I once called CH the atheists messiah and I wasn't joking. There was something he had that my words, or any others fail to address. He could utter a poetry that usurped power - especially that which conspired a deceitful and silent violence against the people.

If Christ was, in truth, a message by the powerful about what happens to a sincere reformer for equitability - "Even if you dropped out of heaven we will crucify you." - as a warning to would be spokespersons for the oppressed - I can think of no equal so well formed and having a natural appetite for razing forests of corruption, due power. In a way it was ironic that the cross of his plaudits, natural selection, nailed him untimely, as a messiah to his cause! I think of this when I remember his respect for the KJBible, for I see too much pain in it otherwise to warrant, in me, his support of it.

Mon, 23 Jan 2012 12:01:39 UTC | #910888

Wake_Up's Avatar Comment 24 by Wake_Up

Wow...

I swear, Mr. Hitchens used language like Van Gogh used oil paints... He brings you and you can't let go... I would love to be able to have a fraction of that ability...

Mon, 23 Jan 2012 19:49:59 UTC | #910956

Alan Dente's Avatar Comment 25 by Alan Dente

Norman MacCaig... made me laugh. Classic Scot!

"REASON!" Think he was ready to move on until it became obvious that she wanted him to elaborate.

RIP Hitch.

Mon, 23 Jan 2012 20:45:10 UTC | #910966

QuestioningKat's Avatar Comment 26 by QuestioningKat

Wonderful video. No God is the best spiritual path I've been on so far. It rings True.

Tue, 24 Jan 2012 00:25:21 UTC | #911010

frax71's Avatar Comment 27 by frax71

Ah yes, thank you for posting this, Christopher Hitchens stands out as the most thoughtful of all despite the wonderful contributions of all those involved. As "drumdaddy" has it "we are in good company"

RIP Hitch I will always miss you

Tue, 24 Jan 2012 03:20:06 UTC | #911023

baobab's Avatar Comment 28 by baobab

Excellent compilation, however, I wish there was a way to mute the annoyingly cheesy background music!

Thu, 26 Jan 2012 18:37:09 UTC | #911788