← Q&A, Sean Faircloth on Secular Strategy, Romney & the Religious Right

Q&A, Sean Faircloth on Secular Strategy, Romney & the Religious Right - Comments

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 1 by Neodarwinian

He speaks much better extemporaneously in this Q and A session than he does from notes!!

He has a well thought out secular plan for the grassroots USA.

Fri, 03 Feb 2012 02:39:34 UTC | #914128

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 2 by Steve Zara

It is so very pleasing to see someone with the great skills of Faircloth at RDFRS US.

Fri, 03 Feb 2012 03:18:37 UTC | #914131

Sara25's Avatar Comment 3 by Sara25

I recently got to hear him speak in DC at the end of January. Brought my dad along. I hadn't previously watched any of the videos on the ten point vision so that was new to me. It was especially interesting, because I had just been on a WaPo forum with a theist asking what how atheists find meaning in life and what we believe in without referring to what we don't believe in (it was Paula Kirby column we were posting under). If I ever get into such a discussion again, the ten point vision is a great place to start.

Sun, 05 Feb 2012 17:37:22 UTC | #914830

Karen Hill Anton's Avatar Comment 4 by Karen Hill Anton

From the Financial Times ... as an example of what atheists are up against in America:

Mon, 06 Feb 2012 06:56:23 UTC | #914960

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 5 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Fri, 10 Feb 2012 22:07:13 UTC | #916431

bjchiaro's Avatar Comment 6 by bjchiaro

Tell me this, what exactly are atheists against in America? I am not advocating for religious people but I fail to see why they are viewed as such a threat?

Sat, 11 Feb 2012 06:54:40 UTC | #916543

Metamag's Avatar Comment 7 by Metamag

Comment 6 by bjchiaro :

why they are viewed as such a threat?

Because atheists casually remind people of how baseless their long held habits and investments are.

Mon, 13 Feb 2012 10:59:10 UTC | #917139

bjchiaro's Avatar Comment 8 by bjchiaro

Metamag I agree with you that their beliefs are without evidence but how does that threaten atheists?

Mon, 13 Feb 2012 23:29:42 UTC | #917372

alaskansee's Avatar Comment 9 by alaskansee

@ comment 8 by bjchiaro

Unless you have been under a rock for the last 30 years it should be obvious. Would you like a summary of religious interference with secular life in the US? From female and gay rights to the crippling of ordinary citizens by tax breaks to "religions." Countless deaths (beatings and not using medicine) of children who cannot opt out of their parents lunacy. (See Sean's interview on this!) The list is far too long to go over here but surely this isn't a real question is it?

Perhaps you need to catch up on some of Sean's work and his new books which is exactly about this subject which you claim you can't see.

Tue, 14 Feb 2012 19:49:32 UTC | #917822

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 10 by Steve Zara

I have just finished "Attack of the Theocrats!". This is a brief review:

Read it. This is an important book that should stir readers into action. It's an easy read, but a shocking one. Being typically British, much of the USA's constitution has been a mystery to me, but it is much less so now, and I can now appreciate the wisdom and brilliance of the founders of the United States. Because I now have that appreciation, thanks to this book, I also can appreciate the shocking degree to which the religious right are attempting to destroy the work of the founders, against the general will of the people of the USA.

Having said that, this book has flaws. It's patchy in style, with some sections containing slightly forced humour, and there are some bizarre diversions in places. There is also an over-use of the same examples of the dangers of religious legal immunities, which gives an impression, true or false, of lack of examples. The book reads a bit like the efforts of Michael Moore, which could lead to the false impression that there is exaggeration for effect, when that is not the case. I think a somewhat calmer style would have let the facts stand for themselves more.

I wish I could say that this book was a pleasure to read. But given the seriousness of the political disease it diagnoses, that's not really appropriate. However, it was a relief to see Faircloth's agenda for secularism, with a positive and achievable strategy.

I'm not a true secularist in the usual sense of the word, because my ideal society is one in which religion is treated like any other personal unscientific view of the world. We need no separation of state and astrologers, so I don't believe we should consider separation of state and religion to be some end-condition. However, that is going to take time, and until then, the strategy has to be secularism.

This book shows that Faircloth's secularism is the true patriotic approach to politics intended by the founders, and his work should be supported by anyone, religious or non-believer, who supports fairness and equality. Richard Dawkins is fortunate indeed to have Faircloth as a colleague.

Sun, 19 Feb 2012 04:56:34 UTC | #919478

Quine's Avatar Comment 11 by Quine

The deeply theocratic Rick Santorum spoke out, today, against the separation of Church and State, specifically as framed by President JFK in his famous speech. Santorum also does not want so much hirer edjicashun because college turns kids away from faith.

Mon, 27 Feb 2012 20:35:58 UTC | #922539

Tyler Durden's Avatar Comment 12 by Tyler Durden

Comment 11 by Quine :

"President Obama wants everyone in America to go to college. What a snob." - Rick Santorum.

Hardball with Chris Matthews

I thought Sarah Palin was the height of entertainment in US presidential politics, Santorum's gotten her beat - and we've yet to hit Super Tuesday.

Tue, 28 Feb 2012 01:07:12 UTC | #922616