← The Reason Rally - March 24, 2012

The Reason Rally - March 24, 2012 - Comments

kmoposse's Avatar Comment 1 by kmoposse

Very cool! Wish I lived closer, there are a lot of great names attending!

Mon, 06 Feb 2012 05:51:23 UTC | #914951

Sample's Avatar Comment 2 by Sample

There are pre & post rally events that should make the whole weekend a lot of fun. I am looking forward to this and to the American Atheist conference on Sunday/Monday as well.

May I suggest that attendees who like to write submit a letter to their local paper, either before or after attending, describing their enthusiasm and/or experience?

I can't wait.

Mike

Mon, 06 Feb 2012 08:21:24 UTC | #914975

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 3 by rod-the-farmer

Good idea for people to contact their local media, saying they plan to attend, and will write and submit an article about their experience. "A group of us are planning to attend, and we are traveling by bus/carpool/van. We will meet at location X at time Y. Anyone wishing to attend please contact so-and-so." A photo opportunity, of all the local folk boarding the bus. That may give more publicity than would otherwise be the case. But the decision to 'come out' and reveal your real name may be more than some reporters can handle.

Mon, 06 Feb 2012 10:23:00 UTC | #914991

ridelo's Avatar Comment 4 by ridelo

Three cheers from Belgium! Wish I could be there. If the world has anything to fear from the US, it would be a US that would be reigned by religious fundies. Let ratio prevail!

Mon, 06 Feb 2012 13:59:07 UTC | #915018

jel's Avatar Comment 5 by jel

I would love to be there but I can't get the time off work.

Mon, 06 Feb 2012 17:07:04 UTC | #915072

Sample's Avatar Comment 6 by Sample

Here is a convention schedule if anyone needs a little extra enticement.

Mike

Mon, 06 Feb 2012 19:32:49 UTC | #915107

aroundtown's Avatar Comment 7 by aroundtown

I am sometimes a little cynical and overly objective but in this circumstance I will go along with "wishing" when it comes to the reason rally. I certainly hope it becomes a huge success in bringing the right to free thought unhampered by religion to a lot of people's minds.

Tue, 07 Feb 2012 14:51:49 UTC | #915286

aroundtown's Avatar Comment 8 by aroundtown

Does anyone know if they intend to video tape the event? I would like to see it made into a region free DVD

Tue, 07 Feb 2012 21:21:36 UTC | #915404

Sample's Avatar Comment 9 by Sample

I hope I'm not breaking any rules by stating this, but there are better prices available for the Bethesda North Marriott Hotel & Conference Center (where the American Atheist Convention will be held following the Reason Rally) than what is advertised on the official links as being $149.00/night.

I just booked my deluxe room there for $99.00/night. Take the difference or 50% of it and donate it to the secular organization of your choice (Sorry Marriott hotel!) or save it. Basically, if $150.00 (my 3 night savings) is keeping anyone from going, it needn't be so.

Mike

Tue, 07 Feb 2012 23:49:53 UTC | #915448

Sample's Avatar Comment 10 by Sample

So, going to DC, I figured I should check an events calendar and scout for other things to do in addition to the American Atheist convention and the Reason Rally. As I surfed for March events in the DC area, I noticed the Reason Rally wasn't coming up on general monthly event searches. So, I checked out the official DC tourism site (no dice) and the Washington Post's March event's calendar (no dice). I also checked five or six other sites advertising DC events: nothing, no mention of the Reason Rally.

Now, I found event listings for a Hubble telescope seminar, various orchestral events from Mozart to Band of Skulls, A St. Patrick's Day parade, and god forbid one forgets that the National Cake Show will be occurring in March as well.

Not one mention of the Reason Rally on searches for "DC events in March" and derivatives of that phrase. Give it a try yourself if time isn't important to you.

It this to be expected? Hmm.

Mike