← LA Black Atheist Group Calls For ‘Day Of Solidarity’ In February

LA Black Atheist Group Calls For ‘Day Of Solidarity’ In February - Comments

ewaldrep's Avatar Comment 1 by ewaldrep

Nice add, don't think it is going to get much attention by many that I know but I hope it has an affect on many.

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 05:41:17 UTC | #915523

EzekielsSqueakyWheel's Avatar Comment 2 by EzekielsSqueakyWheel

Ok, call me stupid... but what's the point in making it "black atheists"? Isn't that just sort of self-identifying with another group instead of simply removing yourselves from the original "theist" group? And I hate to even ask, but what would happen if I started up a "white atheists" meeting..?

Perhaps I'm over-analyzing... I'll be quiet now :P

Anyway, it's only a good thing that the atheist message is getting out there, so I'll just go back to lurking on Twitter. ;)

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 06:15:40 UTC | #915528

susanlatimer's Avatar Comment 3 by susanlatimer

I really like the wording. On the one hand, it can't possibly be considered offensive. Christians talk about doubts and "the Lord testing their faith" all the time.

On the other, it reaches out to people and let's them know that there are a lot more people like them out there.

Also, it looks great. Very well done.

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 06:23:34 UTC | #915530

mmurray's Avatar Comment 4 by mmurray

Comment 2 by EzekielsSqueakyWheel :

Perhaps I'm over-analyzing... I'll be quiet now :P

There was a long discussion about this back here if you're interested. I think different cultural and religious groups are going to have different issues when they try and become atheists so I don't see what the problem is having these kinds of groups.

Michael

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 06:23:57 UTC | #915531

EzekielsSqueakyWheel's Avatar Comment 5 by EzekielsSqueakyWheel

Ah ok, thanks.

I wasn't trying to be contrary... just curious. :)

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 06:28:47 UTC | #915532

mmurray's Avatar Comment 6 by mmurray

Comment 5 by EzekielsSqueakyWheel :

Ah ok, thanks.

I wasn't trying to be contrary... just curious. :)

There's a real diversity of opinion on this one. We haven't had a Papal Edict yet :-)

Michael

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 06:33:24 UTC | #915533

EzekielsSqueakyWheel's Avatar Comment 7 by EzekielsSqueakyWheel

Yeah, I'm reading the original thread now... very interesting.

I had to check back on my first comment here and make sure I didn't come across as a total dick. I hope I didn't... :/

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 06:39:45 UTC | #915535

susanlatimer's Avatar Comment 8 by susanlatimer

Comment 7 by EzekielsSqueakyWheel

Yeah, I'm reading the original thread now... very interesting.

It seems to be a popular question. The fact that you're taking the trouble to read the thread that Michael linked for you means you're interested in answers and therefore, probably not a dick. :-) I hope you read the whole thing. There are some very well written comments in there that address your question.

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 08:49:34 UTC | #915549

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 9 by Stafford Gordon

Albeit that as a white man I'm not really qualified to comment, it seems to me that here is a particularly difficult struggle, given the part Christianity has played in the subjugation of black people, and the ironic dependence that community has on that self same religion for salvation.

There's double bind if ever there was one.

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 10:08:03 UTC | #915560

drumdaddy's Avatar Comment 10 by drumdaddy

Peace to all of my brothers of another color. Across the spectrum courage is indicated. Peace through Atheism! Keep it real!

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 12:52:21 UTC | #915590

78rpm's Avatar Comment 11 by 78rpm

As a white person I tended to question whether it was so good by this late date in history to label anybody or any group as special because they were a Black This or a Black That. Hoewever, I do appreciate that this is different. Peace and strength to you, my fellow humans!

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 13:46:13 UTC | #915600

Bipedal Primate's Avatar Comment 12 by Bipedal Primate

I like how the last guy labeled himself as human FIRST. :-)

I'm a bipedal primate, by the way...

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 14:01:13 UTC | #915603

Bipedal Primate's Avatar Comment 13 by Bipedal Primate

Comment 11 by 78rpm :

I hear what you're saying, brother, but on the other hand, that's just the way it still is. Gotta go with the flow, you know.

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 14:03:47 UTC | #915605

KRKBAB's Avatar Comment 14 by KRKBAB

If someone is an atheist and they're black, then they are a black atheist.

Non blacks (Whites?) should feel a little less squeamish about coming out, I think. Unfortunately, our culture (with the media) almost always trumpets the great faith that is woven into the spirit and integrity of black people in America. It's got to be awfully hard for blacks to be atheistic against that backdrop. I guess I'm a little biased though. I'm not one of those people who says "why organize a group of people who's commonality is what they aren't" (as in not- theists). Given that most everything in most societies revolves around religions, grouping together to try to reverse that is a good thing. However, I do understand it's just another us/them situation if atheists group together. But if we only chose to do things that had only pros and no cons then we wouldn't do too much at all, right?

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 14:08:30 UTC | #915606

achromat666's Avatar Comment 15 by achromat666

Very happy to see this movement gaining ground. As engrained in the American culture as Christianity is, it is even more difficult to reach the black audience for the role subjugation had in forcing it into the culture. I'm always surprised when I bring up how blacks became so immersed in Christianity how little it seems to register and how little the impact of it is ignored.

All the more reason for the ignorance to be both dissuaded and revealed for what it is, a mind forged manacle (ty Hitchens) designed to keep people both under control and under a single delusional influence.

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 14:08:42 UTC | #915608

achromat666's Avatar Comment 16 by achromat666

I apparently need to wake up more this morning. What I mean is the common reaction that other blacks tend to have when I bring up the origins of this culture's dependence on faith and how marginalized it is.

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 14:27:55 UTC | #915612

rrh1306's Avatar Comment 17 by rrh1306

I'm sure it comes as such a shock that they just let it go through one ear and out the other.

Comment 16 by achromat666 :

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 19:18:52 UTC | #915677

faithless1's Avatar Comment 18 by faithless1

Is it even possible to erect anything in Dallas that's not within a mile of several churches?

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 21:16:05 UTC | #915702

Dirkschneider's Avatar Comment 19 by Dirkschneider

The ads are already fueling controversy in Dallas as the campaign made its debut Monday with a billboard reading, “Doubts about religion? You’re one of many.” erected within one mile of several area churches.

Are you ever further than a mile from a church in the US?

Thu, 09 Feb 2012 10:52:19 UTC | #915825

Rational Ape's Avatar Comment 20 by Rational Ape

Greetings to my fellow godless hominids whose ancestors came from Africa (involuntarily, much more often than not, alas) a bit more recently than mine did. Or even might still be there themselves.

And Dirk, I am probably six miles away from the nearest church, and I live not too far from Colorado Springs, the home of Focus on [Your Own Damn] Family and Ted [Much Scarier than Sulu From Star Trek] Haggard.

Fri, 10 Feb 2012 06:01:14 UTC | #916110