← Catholicism, Contraception and Secular Morality at Notre Dame by Sean Faircloth

Catholicism, Contraception and Secular Morality at Notre Dame by Sean Faircloth - Comments

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 1 by Ignorant Amos

Things are a changing....isn't it wonderful?

Thu, 01 Mar 2012 02:06:59 UTC | #923343

nurnord's Avatar Comment 2 by nurnord

Wow! Go Sean....right into the heart of the hornets nest. I just love the gnu gnu Atheists. In the footsteps of giants?...your footprint fits into those footsteps very nicely Sean, thank you very much.Things are a changing....isn't it wonderful?

Quite - I have experience a few of Sean's presentations, I am very impressed with him. Richard made a great appointment there.

Thu, 01 Mar 2012 03:02:40 UTC | #923350

aroundtown's Avatar Comment 3 by aroundtown

Very encouraging to see your enthusiasm in pointing out positions that should be considered reasonable to any clear thinking individual. It is unfortunate that we are living in a period of time in America where reasonable thought has be thrown out the window. Personal freedoms traded for a religious fanaticism that's been propagated by group's with an agenda meant to serve the few at the expense of the many in my opinion. Vigilance and perseverance is bearing fruit and my hope is for the reason rally to bring it fully into the minds of many people who are not even aware of a secular society in America.

Thu, 01 Mar 2012 03:10:03 UTC | #923351

CdnMacAtheist's Avatar Comment 4 by CdnMacAtheist

Sean, with his inside experience of both politics and religion, is a great spokesperson for the rights of secular Americans, and as a Canadian North American I am in full support of his quiet, well-spoken, reasoned, evidence-based questioning of widespread religious influence, beliefs and claims.

With the two political parties so split down religious lines, there is a greater than ever need to totally separate state and religion - while educating the public on the Constitution, explaining and exposing the ongoing pandering to wealthy faith groups, who claim secular oppression but lobby for both public inclusion or exclusion whenever it suits their specific ideology.

Thanks again to Sean and the RDFRS for bringing some sanity to the attention of the USA in this time of great need, since there are several huge social issues that must be addressed before the best-by date is too far behind us....

Oh, that we on this side of the Atlantic were as far down the secular road as the UK, Scandinavia and Australia obviously are.

Think, Imagine, Peace......

Thu, 01 Mar 2012 03:31:54 UTC | #923353

Sample's Avatar Comment 5 by Sample

Great talk. It was sensible, factual, relevant and politely candid.

People will hate you. :-j

Mike

Thu, 01 Mar 2012 03:59:55 UTC | #923356

zengardener's Avatar Comment 6 by zengardener

Attention, Catholic women who use birth control and the men they have sex with.

Stop giving money to the Catholic church. Use that money to pay for birth control.

Thu, 01 Mar 2012 04:11:14 UTC | #923358

Quine's Avatar Comment 7 by Quine

Comment 6 by zengardener:
... Stop giving money to the Catholic church.

That's sufficient.

Thu, 01 Mar 2012 04:27:16 UTC | #923363

Quine's Avatar Comment 8 by Quine

Sean, I saw you at AAI in 2009 and was quite impressed. This presentation was very much better. May I ask if they fitted you for a burning stake on the way out? If you are not reduced to ashes before, I hope to see you at the Reason Rally, soon.

Thu, 01 Mar 2012 05:31:52 UTC | #923366

Jumped Up Chimpanzee's Avatar Comment 9 by Jumped Up Chimpanzee

Excellent speech!

I'd be interested in hearing any of the questions that were put to you. Do you have a recording of this?

Thu, 01 Mar 2012 08:51:08 UTC | #923379

ev-love's Avatar Comment 10 by ev-love

How long before they call him shrill and strident?

ev-love

Thu, 01 Mar 2012 10:49:41 UTC | #923406

Geoff 21's Avatar Comment 11 by Geoff 21

Sharply focused stuff. It would have been interesting to hear the Q & A session.

Thu, 01 Mar 2012 13:43:48 UTC | #923445

Peter Grant's Avatar Comment 12 by Peter Grant

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7HATid5VJEY Catholicism, Contraception and Secular Morality at Notre Dame by Sean Faircloth.

Love watching your speeches Sean, I especially appreciate your witty use of sarcasm and irony. Please keep it up!

Thu, 01 Mar 2012 14:04:13 UTC | #923448

Tony d's Avatar Comment 13 by Tony d

I think it is worth considering that the clerical types being addressed here not the students but the priests and nuns may have entered the church young and been subject to indoctrination over many years. Hearing Sean speak may open their eyes to the thought that up until this point they have been wasting there time. Hopefully some of them might stop wasting their lives now. Bravo Sean.

Thu, 01 Mar 2012 14:14:23 UTC | #923452

alaskansee's Avatar Comment 14 by alaskansee

Sean excellent as usual! I too would like to see the Q&A.

Thu, 01 Mar 2012 16:54:26 UTC | #923488

Rob Schneider's Avatar Comment 15 by Rob Schneider

Fantastic. Great speech, great work you are doing! Your voice on this "religious liberty" fiasco is precisely what is needed in the debate today... I do hope you get some national air-time to engage this issue in front of a wider audience than a Notre Dame classroom (though, that is nothing to sniff at).

I followed a similar path, spending time in Seminary in Dublin before attending a Jesuit University where nuns and tenured atheist faculty led me "astray."

I often marvel at the dedication of fundamentalists who get elected to office so they can then impose their religious will on a legislative process; or who take pharmacist jobs so they can prevent contraceptives being dispensed. The same marvel must be directed toward those wonderful folks we both encountered: atheist professors who chose to teach at a Jesuit university just to have the opportunity to positively influence the lives of people like you and me.

Thu, 01 Mar 2012 18:37:57 UTC | #923514

Corylus's Avatar Comment 16 by Corylus

Well done, Sean.

Friendly, approachable and reasonable, with some killer blows thrown - and landed - when the guard is down in response to that.

I wouldn't want to be questioned by you in a courtroom.

Thu, 01 Mar 2012 20:19:41 UTC | #923548

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 17 by Steve Zara

I hope I'm not embarrassing with my praise, but I have to say that Sean is a "killer app" for the RDFRS in the USA. It's hard to see how someone better could have been engaged. He is politically skilled, professional, friendly, and media friendly and yet devastating in his arguments.

Thu, 01 Mar 2012 21:51:57 UTC | #923579

HappyPrimate's Avatar Comment 18 by HappyPrimate

I become more and more impressed by Sean with each talk I hear. I certainly hope his audience keeps growing larger and larger. Fantastic choice by RDF for us in the U.S.

Fri, 02 Mar 2012 01:17:25 UTC | #923646

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 19 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Fri, 02 Mar 2012 03:45:36 UTC | #923678

reynoldsblong's Avatar Comment 20 by reynoldsblong

Agian, you have nailed this issue. Thanks. I have a lot of followers who really like your work, although they like to throw Chris Hedges at me and you.

Paul Reynolds [link to personal blog removed by moderator]

Fri, 02 Mar 2012 20:05:33 UTC | #923838

dandelion fluff's Avatar Comment 21 by dandelion fluff

Wait, wait, wait!

Paraphrasing: "If 98% of the people were tax cheats and liars, would the government claim it could force everyone to do that?"

No-one's trying to force anybody to use contraception. Mr Conference of Catholic Bishops, are you stupid or are you lying?

Sat, 03 Mar 2012 13:35:31 UTC | #924038

severalspeciesof's Avatar Comment 22 by severalspeciesof

Comment 21 by dandelion fluff :

Wait, wait, wait!

Ditto...

Sat, 03 Mar 2012 20:41:40 UTC | #924139

Mr DArcy's Avatar Comment 23 by Mr DArcy

He speaks very well, and in a quiet, reasoned and amicable manner.

I was particularly interested by how he compared the attitudes of the RCC in the past with those of today. It really does seem as if the RCC and the others are responding to the undoubted encroachment of secularism in the USA, as a matter of desperation. Santorum, e.g., says college is bad, contraception is bad and science is bad and he's a Catholic. Maybe he should join the Taliban. ISTM that his attitudes are the same as theirs!

It will take a while, but religion in the USA will go the same way as in Europe and other places. People won't be bothered with it!

Fri, 09 Mar 2012 17:54:09 UTC | #925667

Quine's Avatar Comment 24 by Quine

These bishops need to understand that by Godwin's law, the first to compare to Hitler loses:

Fri, 20 Apr 2012 21:01:00 UTC | #936114