← The Most Astounding Fact (Neil DeGrasse Tyson)

The Most Astounding Fact (Neil DeGrasse Tyson) - Comments

Michael Gray's Avatar Comment 1 by Michael Gray

We are Star-Stuff…

Truly awesome.

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 06:26:11 UTC | #925284

Karen Hill Anton's Avatar Comment 2 by Karen Hill Anton

Brilliant. Beautiful. And of course reminds of what Lawrence Krauss says about the atoms in our left and right hands coming from different stars.

Karen

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 06:31:18 UTC | #925287

susanlatimer's Avatar Comment 3 by susanlatimer

Garden slugs are also made of Stardust.

I think that's just as beautiful, as facts go.

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 07:32:45 UTC | #925296

Universeman's Avatar Comment 4 by Universeman

You are missing his point, sure, we are star dust, but what is truly astounding is that a very small amount of this star dust is organized in such a fashion that it is able to comprehend this fact.

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 08:15:38 UTC | #925304

susanlatimer's Avatar Comment 5 by susanlatimer

Honestly, I get his point. But there's more to beauty than that one fact. It's a profoundly beautiful fact, but it's not the only beautiful fact.

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 08:17:20 UTC | #925305

Borden.M's Avatar Comment 6 by Borden.M

Comment 5 by susanlatimer :

He was asked for what he thought was the most astounding fact, not for a definition of beauty, or for the only beautiful fact. I think you may have missed the question.

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 09:31:21 UTC | #925316

Sample's Avatar Comment 7 by Sample

I think it was the book, An Anthropologist on Mars (O.Sacks), that describes an autistic person's perception of a sunset or a flower. Anyway, the autistic person understood he/she was missing something as they observed another person's emotional reaction looking at the sunset or flower.

I used to, as a kid, I think, view the Milky Way much like an autistic person. I looked up, saw the edge of our galaxy on a dark night and took more appreciation in the act of seeing itself, rather than what I was seeing.

Now, knowing a little more, I see the Milky Way, or even my hand much differently and yet I am of the same species as another who can only perceive they are missing something. It's all very interesting.

Mike

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 09:35:33 UTC | #925318

CEVA34's Avatar Comment 8 by CEVA34

I am constantly irritated by the American custom (now catching on elsewhere) of saying "share" when they mean "tell about". But nobody must be said to "tell" us something because that would be elitist, suggesting they know more than we - which in the present instance obviously IS the case! Then again, "share" is all warm and touchy-feely, and it makes me sick. It implies a friendliness and empathy which doesn't really exist.

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 11:50:18 UTC | #925341

phill marston's Avatar Comment 9 by phill marston

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 12:18:58 UTC | #925354

Free2011's Avatar Comment 10 by Free2011

Carl Sagan's poetic genius is alive in Dr. Tyson

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 12:20:20 UTC | #925355

Tony d's Avatar Comment 11 by Tony d

@Comment 8 by CEVA34

Thanks for sharing that.

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 12:41:52 UTC | #925359

aroundtown's Avatar Comment 12 by aroundtown

Now consider the fact that the religiously affected discount and ignore the wonder and splendor described by Mr. Tyson in exchange for a perceive nothingness that was fantasized in the mind of men that continues to this day in billions of our fellow human beings. What a shame they can't awaken and witness the true miracle right in front of them.

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 12:58:05 UTC | #925367

hellosnackbar's Avatar Comment 13 by hellosnackbar

That statement should be read from every pulpit in every church,mosque, or synagogue. I would love to hear something from the religiously perverted to deny de Grasse Tyson's statement.

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 13:04:43 UTC | #925368

GregGorey's Avatar Comment 14 by GregGorey

Comment 9 by phill marston :

Or if you know Carl Sagan was merely popularizing the theories proposed by Fred Hoyle and confirmed by William Fowler....

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 15:05:24 UTC | #925384

Universeman's Avatar Comment 15 by Universeman

Comment 9 by phill marston Dr Tyson's comment is no less wonderful if you know he's repeating what Carl Sagan said.

Thanks for the Cosmos link, that was perfect, Netflix finally has Cosmos, I know what my kids are watching next (instead of Dr. Who).

Religious dogma is what frightens me the most about the future of humanity, when I still believed I was very interested in science and the exploration of space, but at the same time I felt that it was rather pointless because what do immortal beings need with space in their mortal form? Why should we worry about climate change when god will fix everything, why should we colonize Mars when we need to be here on the Earth for the second coming?

Now that I have rejected the notion of god and immortality, I can now see that religion quite possibly is the greatest threat to our species; I believe that any true believing Christian thinks in a similar fashion, this kind of belief very well could doom our species to its eventual decline and ultimate extinction. The survival of our species rests squarely on our shoulders; it is only without a belief in a god that one can truly appreciate how fragile our existence is.

We are star stuff which has taken its destiny into its own hands.

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 15:09:14 UTC | #925385

Sean_W's Avatar Comment 16 by Sean_W

It is an amazing fact. I was lucky enough to find this little book Stardust: Supernovae and Life: The Cosmic Connection shortly after learning about it. It is a small book that is not for the expert, but that goes into enough detail to enhance the enthusiasts appreciation of this wonderful fact.

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 15:13:59 UTC | #925387

Wake_Up's Avatar Comment 17 by Wake_Up

What an awesome video... Its great to know that even with all the shit that is going on in this world, the ego's of the powers at be, in the end, it won't effect anything that is more important, than the ever changing universe...

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 16:02:29 UTC | #925392

RDFFAN100's Avatar Comment 18 by RDFFAN100

Beautiful video!

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 16:16:18 UTC | #925396

gr8hands's Avatar Comment 19 by gr8hands

Babylon 5 had this theme running throughout many of their episodes over the course of its five year run, usually spoken by Delenn.

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 16:19:42 UTC | #925398

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 20 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 16:24:46 UTC | #925400

btheist's Avatar Comment 21 by btheist

Beautiful illustration of the significance of our insignificance!

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 17:10:59 UTC | #925417

Cook@Tahiti's Avatar Comment 22 by Cook@Tahiti

It's a better PR spin than 'you're all nuclear waste' or 'you're comprised from the dross and slag left over from fusion reactions' or 'the biosphere is a thin layer of scum on the third rock from the sun'

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 18:01:40 UTC | #925429

susanlatimer's Avatar Comment 23 by susanlatimer

I put it badly. It was very late. All I meant is that all living things are made of stardust and that that's astounding. I did not mean to denigrate what Neil DeGrasse Tyson said. I'm in complete agreement with what he said. (Although, you wouldn't know that from the way I stated things.)

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 18:33:26 UTC | #925437

Billions and Billions's Avatar Comment 24 by Billions and Billions

Great answer and beautiful video.

To quote Lawrence Krauss: "So forget Jesus. The stars died so you could live."

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 20:02:26 UTC | #925453

acgt's Avatar Comment 25 by acgt

How much more beautiful and utterly sensible is this compared to the irrelevant babblings taught by religions? Thank you Richard. Thank you Neil.

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 22:04:53 UTC | #925476

ZenDruid's Avatar Comment 26 by ZenDruid

Comment 22 by Rtambree :

Must remember that one.

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 22:52:10 UTC | #925484

Wokkie's Avatar Comment 27 by Wokkie

I really like the wonderfull thought of John Weeler / Richard Feynman, that maybe only 1 electron exists in the universe that propogates through space and time in such a way as to appear in many places simultaneously. What a great hypothesis. Super cool. Makes my day every time I think of it.

One-electron universe

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 22:54:02 UTC | #925485

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 28 by Neodarwinian

This is one of those great truths. Religion only pretends to know truth.

Fri, 09 Mar 2012 02:32:31 UTC | #925519

El Bastardo's Avatar Comment 29 by El Bastardo

Amazing truth, kinda ruined by the sappy song.

Why do they think every video needs a soundtrack of Coldplay-esque drivel, building in the background to an annoying crescendo?

Still, love the quote.

Fri, 09 Mar 2012 02:56:04 UTC | #925523

EvolvedDNA's Avatar Comment 30 by EvolvedDNA

As I tell some of the folks on the religious websites ...you do owe your life to the death of a sun... you just spell it incorrectly.

Fri, 09 Mar 2012 03:34:36 UTC | #925534