← Richard Dawkins speaks at Reason Rally

Richard Dawkins speaks at Reason Rally - Comments

lewis.breland's Avatar Comment 1 by lewis.breland

Just gave an interview today about the Reason Rally.

Fri, 23 Mar 2012 23:30:03 UTC | #929995

Roy72's Avatar Comment 2 by Roy72

I hope everyone tomorrow has a great day. I am also interested to see how much press attention it generates esp. if there is a big turnout.

Fri, 23 Mar 2012 23:50:17 UTC | #930000

Reason Saves's Avatar Comment 3 by Reason Saves

Excellent points by Richard, as usual. He looks a little tired, though. Hope it's just jet-lag!

Fri, 23 Mar 2012 23:58:01 UTC | #930003

Viveca's Avatar Comment 4 by Viveca

Hope it goes well, is well attended and generates much publicity.

Sat, 24 Mar 2012 00:07:00 UTC | #930006

QuestioningKat's Avatar Comment 5 by QuestioningKat

Comment 3 by Reason Saves :

Just look at his schedule. It makes me tired looking at it. Time to take a three month vacation Richard. Hike somewhere scenic in the mornings, have a gourmet lunch, do some reading sitting under a shady tree while Lala paints. Then dinner at a winery, watch a movie in the evening or go to a concert.

Sat, 24 Mar 2012 00:39:28 UTC | #930011

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 6 by Neodarwinian

Tens of thousands!

I will speculate here, Professor Dawkins, and say they probably used the evidences of hotel room bookings. travel bookings ad just word of mouth to estimate tomorrows crowd.

Regardless of how they know, or even if they know the crowd size much progress toward a secular US should be made tomorrow.Have fun!

Sat, 24 Mar 2012 00:41:32 UTC | #930012

aroundtown's Avatar Comment 7 by aroundtown

I've been thinking about the rally all day. All the best tomorrow Richard and I hope this is a turning point for us here in the States. You certainly helped me, and I am and will remain, very thankful for you efforts and work. I hope this might become a yearly event that becomes larger every year so they might witness the growth of reason and rejection of the dogma that has been a stumbling block for far to long.

Sat, 24 Mar 2012 01:13:37 UTC | #930016

crusader234's Avatar Comment 8 by crusader234

Ahhhh Evidence, Scientific Inquiry, makes me so happy! - mythical stories Pa! RUBBISH

Sat, 24 Mar 2012 05:00:22 UTC | #930060

drumdaddy's Avatar Comment 9 by drumdaddy

Peace to all atheists, and thereby peace to all!

Sat, 24 Mar 2012 08:00:09 UTC | #930102

jel's Avatar Comment 10 by jel

I hope all those attending have a great time. I wish I was there.

Sat, 24 Mar 2012 08:47:12 UTC | #930114

debonnesnouvelles's Avatar Comment 11 by debonnesnouvelles

Many greetings to all of you out there going to Reason Rally today! May it be a great success!!!

Sat, 24 Mar 2012 09:08:32 UTC | #930121

maria melo's Avatar Comment 12 by maria melo

Just gave an interview today about the Reason Rally Comment 1 by lewis.breland

Living in the bible belt as a non- believer becomes immediatly a kind of stereotype, satanist ... On the other hand, in the second interview is mentioned someone who doesn´t take offense if someone prays because it simply means someone who cares.

Surely I can imagine how religion is a stereotype over there, I´ve heard once some scientist working in USA whose car had a break down in the bible belt zone and the first people that showed up to help her asked as a first question not her name or something but what religious believe she held. I enjoyed listening to Prof. Dawkins as well the interview given by lewis.breland as a non-believer living in the bible belt.

I myself think I would not be able to handle living in a place where people hold too much stereotypes, I would became sick.

Thanks for the link.

Sat, 24 Mar 2012 14:45:30 UTC | #930167

drumdaddy's Avatar Comment 13 by drumdaddy

Sat, 24 Mar 2012 15:06:45 UTC | #930175

debonnesnouvelles's Avatar Comment 14 by debonnesnouvelles

Sat, 24 Mar 2012 16:42:34 UTC | #930189

drumdaddy's Avatar Comment 15 by drumdaddy

ANOTHER LIVE STREAM - REASON RALLY

Both streams are intermittent, and both have today's videos up for viewing.

Sat, 24 Mar 2012 18:17:57 UTC | #930206

the_lever's Avatar Comment 16 by the_lever

Here's my video of the Reason Rally, there was a decent turnout considering the rain and all.

In the video, there are people arguing at the end.

Sun, 25 Mar 2012 02:26:35 UTC | #930311

Spawny Rosary's Avatar Comment 17 by Spawny Rosary

oops, think Prof RD said Earth is 4-5 million years old, think he meant 4-5 billion. That apart, good points as usual and optimistic for a tipping point, here's hoping.

Sun, 25 Mar 2012 20:35:11 UTC | #930425

RobertJames's Avatar Comment 18 by RobertJames

From all the god obsessed banners I saw and much of the press coverage going for the naive "atheism is a religion" angle I think America has a long, long road to travel :(

Sun, 25 Mar 2012 20:52:41 UTC | #930432

Fred Nek's Avatar Comment 19 by Fred Nek

I listened to Prof. Dawkins's speech at the reason rally on youtube. Dawkins advocated mocking unreasonable beliefs of religious believers. I doubt that this is effective. Perhaps it would be a good idea to do an empirical study of techniques used to dislodge believers from absurd beliefs to determine which techniques are most effective. I doubt that mockery will be one of them. It would also be worthwhile doing psychological/neurological studies into the reasons for belief.

Mon, 26 Mar 2012 00:43:12 UTC | #930472

GamerFromJumpZ's Avatar Comment 20 by GamerFromJumpZ

I was at the Reason Rally. He looked kind of annoyed when the audience laughed during his talk. We were laughing at the "Richard 4 Prez" sign that an audience member was shown on the Jumbotron holding at that moment. It was kind of an "if only!" laugh.

Mon, 26 Mar 2012 17:46:58 UTC | #930583

Humanist Resource Connection's Avatar Comment 21 by Humanist Resource Connection

Here's a transcript of Dawkins' speech at the Reason Rally: http://humanistresources.org/blog/transcript-richard-dawkins-speech-reason-rally-2012

Tue, 27 Mar 2012 01:40:12 UTC | #930673