← Sean Faircloth & Richard Dawkins address the American Atheists Convention

Sean Faircloth & Richard Dawkins address the American Atheists Convention - Comments

Godless Samuel's Avatar Comment 1 by Godless Samuel

Good speeches! It feels like there is real change happening. I'm excited and hopeful about all this.

Tue, 27 Mar 2012 14:12:19 UTC | #930744

nurnord's Avatar Comment 2 by nurnord

Motivating and inspiring talks by Richard and Sean there. As did I, I noticed Richard got a little emotional when introducing the ex-pastor. That was a beautiful moment, one that points to an encouraging future...

Tue, 27 Mar 2012 14:37:03 UTC | #930745

MilitantNonStampCollector's Avatar Comment 3 by MilitantNonStampCollector

@Comment 1

I would say it is slow gradual change.

Tue, 27 Mar 2012 14:51:55 UTC | #930746

George Lennan's Avatar Comment 4 by George Lennan

Good grief. The cult of Dawkins is finally here.

Standards is really slipping at RDnet....

Tue, 27 Mar 2012 17:05:16 UTC | #930766

Neil5150's Avatar Comment 5 by Neil5150

[Comment 4](/videos/645428-sean-faircloth-richard-dawkins-address-the-american-atheists-convention/comments?page=1#comment_930766) by  [George Lennan](/profiles/31614)          :

Good grief. The cult of Dawkins is finally here.Absolutely ghastly. I am amazed RD is allowing faircloth to talk about him like this.Oh and for goodness sake - Johan Hari? The Wikipedia vandal and disgraced plagiarist?Standards is really slipping at RDnet....

Four comments in four years and you let this slip from your rectum....

Thanks so much for your enlightened view, from under the bridge...

Tue, 27 Mar 2012 18:09:01 UTC | #930781

kev_s's Avatar Comment 6 by kev_s

Well thank goodness there is no chance of a cult of George Lennan.

Tue, 27 Mar 2012 18:39:17 UTC | #930787

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 7 by Stafford Gordon

Very encouraging!

Tue, 27 Mar 2012 19:43:43 UTC | #930803

drumdaddy's Avatar Comment 8 by drumdaddy

Excellent speech, Sean! Superb speech, Richard! What a weekend!

Tue, 27 Mar 2012 20:00:57 UTC | #930806

djs56's Avatar Comment 9 by djs56

When I moved to the USA it took me a long time to realise that when i used the word morality everyone naturally associated that with religion. It's almost as if the word has been redefined in this country, I found it very confusing.

I can't understand why anyone would think having morals is the same as having religion, and, conversly if you don't have religion you don't have morals. However, it seems that most people I have met in the USA equate the two.

Tue, 27 Mar 2012 20:01:28 UTC | #930807

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 10 by Stafford Gordon

Very encouraging!

Tue, 27 Mar 2012 20:03:30 UTC | #930808

huzonfurst's Avatar Comment 11 by huzonfurst

Oh please, George @4: admiring someone for his many accomplishments does not a cult make.

Tue, 27 Mar 2012 20:53:23 UTC | #930818

Capt. Bloodeye's Avatar Comment 12 by Capt. Bloodeye

I'm a huge fan of David Bowie also, but don't consider myself a cult member.

Tue, 27 Mar 2012 21:49:21 UTC | #930823

Peter Grant's Avatar Comment 13 by Peter Grant

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UvFraowYhdYSean Faircloth & Richard Dawkins address the American Atheists Convention

That was great! I agree with Sean, we need to be more strident. We have the moral high ground.

Tue, 27 Mar 2012 22:13:37 UTC | #930830

caseyg5's Avatar Comment 14 by caseyg5

I'm not sure I'm as optimistic as Professor Dawkins about the American religious right polling similarly to the British believers in their progressive evolution of religious beliefs in a secular direction. The American religious right follows in lockstep with their leaders, much in the same way that republican legislators, with few exceptions, band together in unison against anything progressive, sometimes uttering the same talking points word for word given them as instructions by the party. There is profound ignorance of basic science in those quarters and with the so-called "red state" schools (a large chunk of the US) being guided by the influences of religious conservative politicians in those states, any progress out of this thinking will be much slower than the change in Britain.

Wed, 28 Mar 2012 00:12:36 UTC | #930856

Odradek's Avatar Comment 15 by Odradek

Comment Removed by Author

Wed, 28 Mar 2012 02:56:06 UTC | #930871

TeraBrat's Avatar Comment 16 by TeraBrat

Comment 14 by caseyg5 :

I think the more moderate one's would.

Wed, 28 Mar 2012 04:08:56 UTC | #930880

aroundtown's Avatar Comment 17 by aroundtown

I wasn't expecting a down side to the reason rally. While not being able to attend the rally my expectation's were running high and I found the lack of news coverage and some other factors served to bring me down but that has passed. I think I've found my sea legs and confidence. Thank you Richard & Sean & Elisabeth. I am sure you have tasted this ground repeatedly while I am a novice to the effects of the journey for a reasonable discourse.

Wed, 28 Mar 2012 05:43:23 UTC | #930889

Dwegner's Avatar Comment 18 by Dwegner

Surely it can not be long before it is 'Sir' Richard Dawkins, or will the religious bigotry of HRM preclude this? Sir David Attenborough was recognised for his contribution, I cannot see why Prof. Dawkins should be any different.

It also has a nice ring to it, - Sir Richard Dawkins. :) Perhaps he might publicly destroy that other so claimed, 'peer of the realm', 'Mad eyes' Lord Monckton.

Wed, 28 Mar 2012 09:17:09 UTC | #930901

sandman67's Avatar Comment 19 by sandman67

Prof D

Whilst I agree that we should, as voters, call our candidates out for saying they believe in ridiculous stuff, I think that in the USA that message gets lost on them. It will work in the UK, but Americans may see that as a step too far...as was apparent on the UP show.

It is much easier, and more relevant I feel, to take the tack I did on a web log I wrote some guest articles for (look up Dave The Sandman and Al Stefanelli). There I took Rick Santorum and Newt Gingritch to task on their political positions and how these stood in direct contradiction of stated and set in stone Roman Catholc Church doctrine and policy. I then expanded the excercise to take in the whole US GOP and its palling up wth the RCC. In Ricks case he actually is arguably a schismatic heretic like Mel Gbson and his mad dad.

As I concluded the only common platforms they share are a hatred of the LGBT community drve for equal rights, and a war on womens reproductive rights. In all other matters they stand in contradiction to RCC doctrine.

(NB: I also called out the US RCC for failing to pont this out publically in a cynical and hypocritical tactic that is just another stain on their faith).

Exposing this, and challenging so called good Catholics who fight their elections on the fact they are good representatives of their faith and maintain their politcal stances because of their faith, is a much more effective way of exposing them for the hateful hypocrites and liars they are.

If our aim is to shut down the religulous psychobabble then I feel an attack on real terms rather than tlting at the ridiculous articles of faith is a better tactic. Calling out the stupidity of transubstantiation is just feeding the "aint he mean" trolls, even if it does make sense.

And for my US chums who may think its a bit unfair for me as a Brt to constantly rip on the US, dont worry....I have Baroness Waaaaah Waaaaah Warsi in my sights.

Wed, 28 Mar 2012 11:02:50 UTC | #930911

hellosnackbar's Avatar Comment 20 by hellosnackbar

Looks like RD has found a loyal vocationalist ally in Sean Faircloth. His remark that the current Christian nutters in the GOP would reject two of the most talented founding fathers if they were around today is a telling blow against the religiously perverted.

Wed, 28 Mar 2012 11:50:09 UTC | #930913

Veronique's Avatar Comment 21 by Veronique

Comment 4 by George Lennan Good grief. The cult of Dawkins is finally here.

Oh noes!! I have finally discovered I am a JS Bach cultist.

Oh dear!! And I still listen to Bach with joy. I must be lost to rationality because of my love for Bach!!

Wed, 28 Mar 2012 18:31:01 UTC | #930984

caseyg5's Avatar Comment 22 by caseyg5

The GOP would surely reject Thomas Jefferson and James Madison for any office. Abraham Lincoln as well. The American electorate has become unsophisticated, preferring entertainment over substance and openly ridiculing progressive bright people as being "commies." Conspiracy theories, as dramatized by "The X-Files," have been embraced as standard government function, further fueling anti-intellectual hysteria. It is a very complex web to untangle but it has to start somewhere. Rationalists must step forward and reiterate common sense in the way regressives chant prayer and repeat false information loudly and incessantly. With time people can be shamed out of foolishness.

Wed, 28 Mar 2012 18:34:21 UTC | #930986

Veronique's Avatar Comment 23 by Veronique

Comment 18 by Dwegner

Never happen. RD cooked his knightly goose by declaiming as an atheist.

And then a militant one to boot! Great stuff but no knighthood.

Who cares!

Wed, 28 Mar 2012 18:36:56 UTC | #930987

Sample's Avatar Comment 24 by Sample

caseyg5,

Yes, entertainment over substance. Your post reminded me of this article from 2008. I still think Steven Pinker nailed the attitude shift that still holds, perhaps even more so, in this coming election. I think you'll enjoy the read.

Mike

Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:02:28 UTC | #930993

Katy Cordeth's Avatar Comment 25 by Katy Cordeth

Comment 23 by Veronique

Never happen. RD cooked his knightly goose by declaiming as an atheist.

And then a militant one to boot! Great stuff but no knighthood.

Who cares!

How the knighthood system works is they ask you, not if you would like a knighthood, but rather would you accept one if it was offered. This stops people going on television and trying to gain cool points by saying "yeah, they offered me a knighthood but I turned them down."

It's entirely possible that Richard has been approached, has thought for a second about the illustrious company he'd be joining - Sir Cliff Richard, Sir Terry Wogan, Sir David Jason, Sir Richard Branson etc and just said "no ta".

Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:38:33 UTC | #930999

Rawhard Dickins's Avatar Comment 26 by Rawhard Dickins

This is high comedy indeed!

But the script was written 2000 years ago!

Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:46:03 UTC | #931002

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 27 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Thu, 29 Mar 2012 00:23:48 UTC | #931070

huzonfurst's Avatar Comment 28 by huzonfurst

@25, what have you got against Richard Branson?

Thu, 29 Mar 2012 14:15:58 UTC | #931165

Mr DArcy's Avatar Comment 29 by Mr DArcy

It wouldn't surprise me if Richard got a knighthood. After his remarks about Holy Joe in the Vatican, I thought - naw, the establishment will never give him an honour. But who knows? The people who decide these things are obviously aware of public opinion to some extent. There are knights who I never heard of (of whom, to pedants), but some others I recognise, like Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger, (services to sexual awareness), Elton John etc. Surely Richard has contributed at least as much as these people to humanity? And that includes ex jailbird Lord Archer (perjury). As for Lord Bragg, I hope he has cooled down a bit, but for Baroness Warsi I have no hope! And what has she ever contributed to humanity? I suggest very little. A token Tory Muslim.

Frankly I don't care whether or not Richard gets an honour. I hold most of his views in high esteem and great respect! There's always a bottle of red biddy and a discussion about the merits of Bach, Schubert and Beethoven, should Richard ever decide to visit my part of north London!

PS. I know an MBE. She tells me that MBE = My Bloody Effort. Apparently OBE = Others' Bloody Effort !

Thu, 29 Mar 2012 19:35:44 UTC | #931209

Katy Cordeth's Avatar Comment 30 by Katy Cordeth

Comment 28 by huzonfurst

@25, what have you got against Richard Branson?

Two words: Virgin Trains.

Not enough reason to dislike him? Alright, here are another twelve: He has his own island. I don't have my own island. Bastard.

Thu, 29 Mar 2012 19:58:25 UTC | #931216