← Dr. R. Elisabeth Cornwell speaks on The OUT Campaign at the American Atheists Convention 3/25/12

Dr. R. Elisabeth Cornwell speaks on The OUT Campaign at the American Atheists Convention 3/25/12 - Comments

mr_DNA's Avatar Comment 1 by mr_DNA

I thought this wasn't relevant to Brits until Dr Cornwell started to talk about child care. Then I understood the relevance.

Although the UK is deconverting faster than a dog shedding its self of fleas after a dose of flea powder, child care is one place where the church still gets its clutches on young families. My wife takes our little one round to a group every week and she always comes back with a Jesus related souvenir. I'm told this is because state child groups are not very frequent / handy and that the participants divide inside into theist / non theist groups of friends who don't talk to one another. A rather disconcerting reflection of the wider society then.

Tue, 27 Mar 2012 15:42:17 UTC | #930753

Kurt75's Avatar Comment 2 by Kurt75

To admins: I'm having trouble with the download size of some of the videos on this site. For example, is it really necessary for this 17.5 minute speech to take up 180 MiB?

Tue, 27 Mar 2012 18:04:18 UTC | #930777

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 3 by Stafford Gordon

OK! He has his faults, as he himself admits, and who doesn't, but he's by far the best there is in the field.

I think that what I have to do is find my own way of communicating non belief; the Socratic approach appeals the most; but as my old dad used to say "If you ask a silly question, you get a silly answer."

Elizabeth Cornwell, and Sean Faircloth are simply brilliant in there capability to communicate succinctly.

Private individuals and members of ones own family should be left alone to sort it out for themselves I think, but politicians are always fair game.

Tue, 27 Mar 2012 19:36:50 UTC | #930798

lewis.breland's Avatar Comment 4 by lewis.breland

We definitely need to see more women like Dr. Cornwell. Fabulous talk!

Tue, 27 Mar 2012 19:55:54 UTC | #930804

Starcrash's Avatar Comment 5 by Starcrash

I like the term "atheist". I've always felt it fit my identity best. I feel safe representing other atheists.

So what's up with this lack of women? I don't understand it. There are probably 40 or so regular posters here, and 4 of them are women (if you include Dr. Cornwell). Women make up half the population. The math doesn't add up. I post on a couple other atheist forums regularly, too, and the male:female ratio is about the same (roughly 10:1). Does anyone have a good reason for why this is true?

Tue, 27 Mar 2012 23:36:08 UTC | #930845

debonnesnouvelles's Avatar Comment 6 by debonnesnouvelles

Comment 5 by Starcrash :

Sorry Starcrash, do you mean with "posters" people whose articles are posted or people who post comments themselves?

Because if you mean people posting comments, I don't think that only 4 regular women taking part is accurate. Whereas if you mean people whose articles are posted, that might be right...

Tue, 27 Mar 2012 23:41:16 UTC | #930846

aroundtown's Avatar Comment 7 by aroundtown

Comment 5 by Starcrash I like the term "atheist".

Yeah, it feels like a new favorite new T-shirt to me, I like the term too. No need to be a shrinking violet anymore to my way of thinking. Out and about as an atheist who cares. How does that sound?

PS, Thanks Elisabeth, enjoyed your speech and your enthusiasm.

Wed, 28 Mar 2012 05:09:08 UTC | #930887

mgjinich's Avatar Comment 8 by mgjinich

I am so impressed by Dr. Cornwell! She was terrific.

Wed, 28 Mar 2012 16:07:28 UTC | #930953

Okeydoke's Avatar Comment 9 by Okeydoke

Comment 2 by Kurt75 :

Hi,

do you use Firefox? If so i'd recommend Downloadhelper. It let's you download youtube (and other) videos with different levels of quality.

Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:58:32 UTC | #931005

Starcrash's Avatar Comment 10 by Starcrash

Comment 6 by debonnesnouvelles :

"Posters" is a pretty ambiguous term, and "regular posters" isn't much better. I was actually thinking about commenters who post several times a week (maybe 2 or 3 at least).

It's quite possible that there are more of both articles and comments written by women than I think there are... after all, it's not like I click on the name of every person whose comment I read. But I have clicked on many of them and even if my assumed ratio of 10:1 is wrong, it's certainly still a ratio of men to women that doesn't reflect the general population (for example, of 9 comments here, 2 are from women --- 7:2 in this article alone). "Four" regular women posters were all that I could recollect from memory, and I hope you'll forgive me for excluding you and other regularly posting women that I didn't think of at the time. It wasn't on purpose.

Wed, 28 Mar 2012 23:19:55 UTC | #931056

xmaseveeve's Avatar Comment 11 by xmaseveeve

I'm an atheist and I'm a woman. The perception of the word 'atheist' will change as women, gay people and ethnic minorities become more visible, which is inevitable as we (most of us) do not discriminate.

Wed, 28 Mar 2012 23:44:02 UTC | #931064

Odradek's Avatar Comment 12 by Odradek

Rarely do I literally laugh out loud. But when RD delivered the line about the transubstantiation of communion wafers with such understated politeness, I caterwauled.

Thu, 29 Mar 2012 00:58:37 UTC | #931077

Mr DArcy's Avatar Comment 13 by Mr DArcy

Sorry, Starcrash, but I can't help being a heterosexual man. I hope you don't mind the likes of myself sticking up for reason and science on this excellent forum. Of course more women are needed, but more men as well!

AFAIC the more the merrier.

It would be interesting if the admin here could explain why the website seems to be significantly slower over recent months. I suspect it's because more people are visiting and staying longer, not necessarily commenting. ( And, no, it's not my computer at fault because I use several different ones, and it's slower on all of them.) Some stats would be interesting from the webmaster.

Thu, 29 Mar 2012 17:54:03 UTC | #931189

drumdaddy's Avatar Comment 14 by drumdaddy

Thank you so much, Dr. Cornwell! People are coming out more and more. Critical mass is within reach.

Fri, 30 Mar 2012 16:03:51 UTC | #931376

Emmeline's Avatar Comment 15 by Emmeline

Excellent talk by Elisabeth and so right about the need to provide childcare & social networking for young families.

Tue, 03 Apr 2012 16:34:18 UTC | #932153

Anthony P. Norse's Avatar Comment 16 by Anthony P. Norse

Elisabeth Cornwell makes excellent points. While atheists are not known as pillars of morality in most mainstream circles, the evidence says otherwise. Let's hope that lively public discourse and debate will help to alter public perception.

Wed, 04 Apr 2012 05:44:17 UTC | #932250