← This is a short promo for the two-hour documentary, "In God We Trust?" by Scott Burdick.

This is a short promo for the two-hour documentary, "In God We Trust?" by Scott Burdick. - Comments

BowDownToGizmo's Avatar Comment 1 by BowDownToGizmo

3:12 I agree with Jesu...I mean, Nick

Sun, 08 Apr 2012 14:38:23 UTC | #933072

QuestioningKat's Avatar Comment 2 by QuestioningKat

I'm reminded of Jesus Camp. That one woman is like nails on a chalk board. Good job Scott. It's good to see you branching out. Just keep painting!

Sun, 08 Apr 2012 14:45:04 UTC | #933075

DrDroid's Avatar Comment 3 by DrDroid

Disturbing, infuriating, surreal. I hope I can screw up my courage to watch the whole thing (and hold my supper down while doing it).

Sun, 08 Apr 2012 15:41:56 UTC | #933084

SheerReason's Avatar Comment 4 by SheerReason

Props to Jenni (The Atheist) and to Nick ( The guy that really has a problem with the God of the Bible )...

That being said, this documentary is frightening... especially when you consider recent polls reflecting the beliefs among many in my country.

The woman who said "homosexuality is worse than slavery because the Bible expressly forbids homosexuality but it does not expressly forbid slavery" is just a complete moron.

I feel for the woman in the video who thought the world was going to end the next day... she must really feel a fool now..... that or she thinks that Harold Camping's correction for a date in October will hold true. I'm not sure.

Am I the only one that feels there's a pandemic of severe mental illness in the world right now? I realize that whatever mental impairment these people have may not fit any known clinical mental illness recognized by psychiatry. However, surely these people are batshit?

Sun, 08 Apr 2012 16:56:15 UTC | #933091

AtheistEgbert's Avatar Comment 5 by AtheistEgbert

Comment 4 by SheerReason :

No, you're not the only one. However, according to recent polls, religion is supposedly in decline in the UK and America.

Sun, 08 Apr 2012 18:31:30 UTC | #933099

xmaseveeve's Avatar Comment 6 by xmaseveeve

Too scary to watch.

Sun, 08 Apr 2012 19:28:08 UTC | #933107

cheesedoff17's Avatar Comment 7 by cheesedoff17

Oh my doG! I don't think I can watch this, too tragic/exasperating/energy depleting just knowing that there are thousands of brainwashed sheeple out there.

Sun, 08 Apr 2012 19:29:47 UTC | #933108

Zeuglodon's Avatar Comment 8 by Zeuglodon

Being a UK viewer, I found that surprising and... disturbing. That someone could so brazenly say "I believe this because the bible says this" and apparently not be pretending astonishes me. I was so close to thinking these were actors following a script written by someone who believed a stereotype of religious believers. I don't even have an experience to compare it with.

I echo the same sentiments as Comment 3 by DrDroid and Comment 4 by SheerReason, except I'm not watching the rest of the vid. I think this clip has gotten the message across to me eloquently enough. Credit to Burdick, though, for his work in exposing the religious nonsense where we can all see it.

Sun, 08 Apr 2012 19:42:04 UTC | #933112

Universeman's Avatar Comment 9 by Universeman

That Mormon, Bryon, how terrifying is it that he hopes that he has the faith to kill is own son if he "felt" that it was God's will. I still go to church with my wife and the elders quorum president taught in priesthood that God lets bad things happen to us because he loves us, gee thanks God, I would hate to be on his bad side. He then went into discussing how Mormons don’t display the cross because we don’t focus on the pain and suffering of Christ’s slaughter, all Mormons really care about is that they will get to be resurrected, and then he took a moment to bash an atheists he works with who was making fun of his beliefs (yay!) and said how sad it is that atheists won’t accept the “reality” of the resurrection. I really do wish that I could be openly atheistic (it would be too hard on my wife so I just bite my tongue for now), I hope to be the fly in their ointment one day, could make for some very interesting lesson discussions.

Sun, 08 Apr 2012 20:11:49 UTC | #933119

stuhillman's Avatar Comment 10 by stuhillman

That happy-chappy Mormon boy scared the crap out of me.

Sun, 08 Apr 2012 20:18:17 UTC | #933121

Katy Cordeth's Avatar Comment 11 by Katy Cordeth

Comment 4 by SheerReason

This mental impairment is well known to psychiatry and is known as folie à plusieurs (madness of many), a variant of folie à deux (madness of two); or shared psychotic disorder in modern parlance.

Folie à deux

Sun, 08 Apr 2012 21:31:51 UTC | #933129

KRKBAB's Avatar Comment 12 by KRKBAB

"Comment 10 by stuhillman- "That happy-chappy Mormon boy scared the crap out of me."

Not me. He obviously got the answer wrong, BUT, he didn't just blurb out "Yes, of course..."- he did look to be honestly perplexed. Sad to say that in America that's actually not as extreme as some of the whackos that are in the United States of Religious Indoctrination!

Sun, 08 Apr 2012 21:50:51 UTC | #933131

Capt. Bloodeye's Avatar Comment 13 by Capt. Bloodeye

A truly depressing film. You already know that it will be a catalogue of the deeply deluded. Dont watch it. I made the mistake of doing so and regret it.

Sun, 08 Apr 2012 21:56:32 UTC | #933132

KRKBAB's Avatar Comment 14 by KRKBAB

I think calling it mass insanity is an easy answer that's just wrong. I think it's closer to a meme that is automatically brainwashed into children by people who were brainwashed as children ...

It's just (okay, now it seems like I'm simplifying things:) ) that some people have the ability to recognize the sheer impossibility of these myths and some don't have the ability.

It might be something as simple as (damn, I can't stop using that word!) people who either a) accept things because it makes their world easier to understand and it makes them feel secure or b) people that accept things because they think the majority of evidence points that way regardless of whether the outcome is favorable to their well being or not?

Sun, 08 Apr 2012 22:01:28 UTC | #933133

achromat666's Avatar Comment 15 by achromat666

The part that I think disturbs me most (and there was quite a bit of competition for it, don't get me wrong) is the bit where the Muslim makes the statement about the truth reaching our hearts before reaching our heads. It really speaks to what indoctrination through fear does, it bypasses the need for facts beyond what is taught as truth at a very young age most of the time.

Truth of course doesn't reach anywhere, we arrive at conclusions about truth through reasoning regardless of how faulty that reasoning may be. But that doesn't change what is true any more than I can turn the sun on and off with a light switch. Evidence dictates how you arrive at what is true, what we can prove and what we do with the facts the come from it.

A chilling look at what makes this line of thinking so very dangerous.

Sun, 08 Apr 2012 22:32:05 UTC | #933140

caseyg5's Avatar Comment 16 by caseyg5

This is what generations of religious brainwashing does to people, as KRKBAB says in Comment 14. They can't even fathom the ridiculousness of what they are saying. They really believe that if they don't mutter the phrases they have had pounded into them, they will suffer in an afterlife. Why did 900 people kill themselves in Guyana? Because their "god," Jim Jones, said so. That was more than enough so as to avoid a painful afterlife that their leader said awaited them if they disobeyed.

Sun, 08 Apr 2012 22:46:38 UTC | #933142

AtheistEgbert's Avatar Comment 17 by AtheistEgbert

Comment 14 by KRKBAB :

Freud called it a mass delusion, but he admitted that he never understood religious experience.

The best explanation I can think of, is that of human identity. Those lacking in a strong personal identity take on a superficial identity of the group, or group identity. This is what religion is, where group identity overpowers personal sanity and reason.

Since there is no instruction book for developing a personal identity, it's incredibly difficult to determine what exactly authentic personality is.

Sun, 08 Apr 2012 23:27:36 UTC | #933148

Carl Sai Baba's Avatar Comment 18 by Carl Sai Baba

Watch it until the end... you get to see one of the Christians complain that we only hear about the bad parts of slavery.

Mon, 09 Apr 2012 00:05:20 UTC | #933155

QuestioningKat's Avatar Comment 19 by QuestioningKat

Comment 18 by Carl Sai Baba :

I have to wonder if Scott was fully able to control his expressions throughout this filming. Some of what people said is truly astonishing. Sugar coated evil...pure and simple...yet they are clueless that this is what they stand for. I found the reaction of Christians to the Buddhists took who over school board complete with Buddhist prayers to be quite telling and hypocritical. So very expected.

As a side note, be sure to check out Scott Burdick's paintings. He's a fabulous artist.

Mon, 09 Apr 2012 01:14:10 UTC | #933163

QuestioningKat's Avatar Comment 20 by QuestioningKat

Comment 16 by caseyg5 :

If you get a chance to see the documentary film which shows footage of the actual event, do so, but know that it is extremely disturbing. I am still haunted by what I saw. Many people actually tried to flee to the woods and were hunted down. One made it as far as the landing gear/wheels of the airplane before being shot. Others were forced to drink the Koolaid. It was not "kumbaya" peace, love, and happiness. It was very chaotic and the intention to mass murder was very obvious.

Mon, 09 Apr 2012 01:28:53 UTC | #933166

squeegee's Avatar Comment 21 by squeegee

Thankyou for doing this Scott.

I always think of Carl Sagan's "Candle in the Dark" when I watch doco's of this sort. The burning light being those few brave people who stand firm against the darkness that is the insanity of mob rule.

The biggest surprise for me was how my feelings changed towards the young guy with the goatee beard from seeing him as a prime candidate for a particularly nasty SS officer had he been in Hitler's Germany, to mild respect as he accepted that his view wasn't the only one when socializing with the atheists towards the end of the movie. He was still brainwashed by religious thinking but a door had been opened.

Mon, 09 Apr 2012 01:58:11 UTC | #933172

Zeuglodon's Avatar Comment 22 by Zeuglodon

Comment 20 by QuestioningKat

I read about that as a case study used at least three times: in RD's A Devil's Chaplain; in Richard Wiseman's Paranormality; and in Kathleen Turner's Brainwashing: The Science of Thought Control. Just reading about it once gave me the creeps, never mind three times. It sounded like some bad dream, but it was real, and it means real people can die and have died for nonsense. It's extraordinary.

Mon, 09 Apr 2012 02:20:36 UTC | #933176

caseyg5's Avatar Comment 23 by caseyg5

There is little that is goofier in Burdick's film than the follower who would beat the daylights out of an atheist and then show his Christian side by extending a hand to help him up after the beating. Is he doing God's work on Satan's behalf, or Satan's work on God's behalf? No wonder Europe thinks Americans are crazy!

Mon, 09 Apr 2012 02:35:09 UTC | #933181

oliver.dionela's Avatar Comment 24 by oliver.dionela

I find it hard to finish this film. That man at the 4-minute mark make me want to punch my screen.

Mon, 09 Apr 2012 02:35:42 UTC | #933182

Misinglink15's Avatar Comment 25 by Misinglink15

It was difficult to view after realizing that the movie takes place in my own state of North Carolina. Perhaps I was a little naive or chose to be ignorant to how close to home that such insanity exists.

Mon, 09 Apr 2012 04:51:36 UTC | #933207

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 26 by rod-the-farmer

Boy is that scary. To think I traveled to N. Carolina for business.......If asked, I think I will opt out of any future travel there.

Mon, 09 Apr 2012 09:56:06 UTC | #933256

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 27 by Richard Dawkins

The whole film is long, but well worth watching. One highlight, for me, was the spectacularly stupid woman around 0:22:40. She begins by denying that God could ever sanction slavery. Scott then gets her to read aloud the relevant passage from Leviticus and she then completely changes her tune, saying that homosexuality is worse than slavery. That's right: homosexuality is WORSE than slavery. Why? Because the Bible condemns homosexuality and (as she has just that minute learned from Scott) it doesn't condemn slavery.

Even more horrifying is the section (starting around 0:59) labelled "Following Orders": a covert allusion to the Nuremburg Defence. Scott asks people to put themselves in the position of Joshua, ordered by God to slaughter the native peoples already living in the promised land, or of Abraham, ordered by God to sacrifice his son. One after another, the faith-heads say (reluctantly in the case of the young man with glasses and curly hair, but with something close to relish in the case of the odious man with a bald head and little beard) that yes, they would commit genocide and infanticide if God ordered them to. This is as clear an illustration of the evil of religion as I have come across for a long time.

Richard

Mon, 09 Apr 2012 10:00:25 UTC | #933259

StephenH's Avatar Comment 28 by StephenH

Maybe the time has come to refer to the mainstream religions as: cults

Personally, i'm fed up having to share this planet with ignorant / stupid or insane people, and wish there were other planets discovered capable of supporting human life.

Then perhaps we could relocate to Planet Bright

Mon, 09 Apr 2012 10:58:23 UTC | #933267

scottburdick's Avatar Comment 29 by scottburdick

Thank you Richard Dawkins for everything you do and for the words of support with my little film. You helped open my formerly Catholic eyes with your books when I was in High School, and you continue to do so now.

It was such an honor interviewing you, Robin, and Sean for my next film on Reason and Atheism. It was such a nice change interviewing people I agreed with and not having to keep my emotions so in check all the time! After a while when doing the interviews for “In God We Trust?” I became depressed at how irrational and hateful so many people were. Speaking with you and all the rest of the people at the Reason Rally was the best therapy I could have wished for!

Scott Budick

Mon, 09 Apr 2012 11:17:21 UTC | #933272

QuestioningKat's Avatar Comment 30 by QuestioningKat

But they've never "received" these orders, so they are relieved. Yet when they get ideas from their "still, small voice inside," it amazingly looks like their own wishes. They haven't put this together yet. Instead they act as if people of talent are getting beams of wisdom through a small hole at the top of their head.

Mon, 09 Apr 2012 11:31:15 UTC | #933276