← Richard Dawkins on Beautiful Minds - BBC Four Wed April 25

Richard Dawkins on Beautiful Minds - BBC Four Wed April 25 - Comments

Tony d's Avatar Comment 1 by Tony d

I have nothing in common with Richard Dawkins .But i find myself living in a world full of people who believe in fairy tales.Richard Dawkins is talking sense in a world full of people who believe bull shit.I f**king love him.

Thu, 19 Apr 2012 03:05:59 UTC | #935617

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 2 by Neodarwinian

If I lived in Great Britain I might have a TV machine.

Oh well, I will wait for the youtube upload.

Thu, 19 Apr 2012 03:32:05 UTC | #935622

Michael Austin's Avatar Comment 3 by Michael Austin

There should be a study on the spread of the fallacious "Richard Dawkins is strident/militant/shrill" meme.

Thu, 19 Apr 2012 03:55:36 UTC | #935625

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 4 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Thu, 19 Apr 2012 04:35:30 UTC | #935629

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 5 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Thu, 19 Apr 2012 04:59:19 UTC | #935630

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 6 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Thu, 19 Apr 2012 05:19:43 UTC | #935631

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 7 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Thu, 19 Apr 2012 05:44:11 UTC | #935634

squeegee's Avatar Comment 8 by squeegee

never did understand why people cry at Christian funerals. Why aren't they all singing with joy ?

I agree Michael, if the Christian afterlife is true then, among other things, the word "tragedy" should never be used when describing sudden deaths...it's not like they're never going to see their family members again.

Thu, 19 Apr 2012 05:52:03 UTC | #935635

InYourFaceNewYorker's Avatar Comment 9 by InYourFaceNewYorker

Please, somebody cap this and put it on YouTube!

Thu, 19 Apr 2012 06:01:44 UTC | #935636

susanlatimer's Avatar Comment 10 by susanlatimer

"Religion is part of a complex of supernatural beliefs that are founded on lack of evidence. Astrology, homeopathy... all sorts of things like that, and it could be said that some of these are harmless. I don't think it's harmless."

"There is something insidious about training children to believe things for which there's no evidence, and so, an uncritical, so open-minded your brains fall out kind of attitude is a great pity because it means you miss such a lot. And merely to say that religion is harmless isn't good enough."

Why does such a simple, reasonable and important message have to struggle so hard to be heard?

Progress is being made. But the white noise it has to rise above is formidable.

What strange creatures we are.

I am so glad that Richard Dawkins is willing to be as "strident" as he is. Stand up and call others to stand up. It's vital when we face the future that we give no respect to ideas that cannot support themselves.

Thu, 19 Apr 2012 06:24:29 UTC | #935639

Thu, 19 Apr 2012 08:32:43 UTC | #935657

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 14 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Thu, 19 Apr 2012 08:33:30 UTC | #935659

Moderator's Avatar Comment 15 by Moderator

Moderators' message

Off-topic/spam + responses to it removed by moderator.

Thu, 19 Apr 2012 08:37:04 UTC | #935660

Ode2Hitch's Avatar Comment 16 by Ode2Hitch

Mods got in before I could accept his challenge....shame - looks like I'll have to continue my day at work now.

On a more serious note, does anyone here know if this programme is a repeat?

Thanks

Thu, 19 Apr 2012 08:38:23 UTC | #935661

bearlette's Avatar Comment 17 by bearlette

I dont think it is.

Lucilla

Thu, 19 Apr 2012 08:46:56 UTC | #935662

Peter Grant's Avatar Comment 18 by Peter Grant

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01glqt3 Richard Dawkins on Beautiful Minds - BBC Four Wed April 25

Can't wait! I will find a way to watch this. Professor Dawkins really does have a beautiful mind.

Thu, 19 Apr 2012 08:50:18 UTC | #935664

stuhillman's Avatar Comment 19 by stuhillman

I'll be in front of the Telly for this one - 2200 hours via satellite TV in France. Ain't technology wonderful?

Thu, 19 Apr 2012 09:03:09 UTC | #935666

Skywatcher_3025's Avatar Comment 20 by Skywatcher_3025

I don't think of The God Delusion to be a so militant atheistic book. I think, it is a contemporary atheistic issue, that gives an up-to date understanding of the Atheism.

Thu, 19 Apr 2012 09:12:35 UTC | #935668

peter mayhew's Avatar Comment 21 by peter mayhew

Comment 11:

Why is wrong for the shooters to kill themselves after gunning down several?

Well, for one thing, people can change and go onto do productive things with their lives, given the opportunity. A person who changes their life for the better can be a great inspiration. It's "wrong" in the sense of an opportunity wasted.

Thu, 19 Apr 2012 09:48:38 UTC | #935675

Ivan The Not So Bad's Avatar Comment 22 by Ivan The Not So Bad

Comment 16 by Ode2Hitch

On a more serious note, does anyone here know if this programme is a repeat?

Nope, it's episode 3 of the new series. I've not watched the second programme yet but the first was fun and featured a leather-clad motorbike-riding Jenny Clack.

BBC | Beautiful Minds

Btw if anyone has yet to discover the delights of Horrible Histories (ostensibly a children's programme but actually one of the cleverest and funniest things you'll ever see on your telly-box) then start here with episode two of series four which features a section on evolution during which Charles Darwin sings a pastiche of David Bowie's "Changes".

It's pure genius.

BBC | Horrible Histories

Thu, 19 Apr 2012 09:59:41 UTC | #935678

peter mayhew's Avatar Comment 23 by peter mayhew

Comment 22 by Ivan The Not So Bad

the delights of Horrible Histories

Yes indeed, I think it's great and my kids love it. However, a Xtian evangelical group that regularly visits their school recently did a Xtian version of HHs for school assembly, which included such historical events such as the betrayal, crucifixion, and wait for it, resurrection of Jesus. Sigh.

Thu, 19 Apr 2012 10:46:36 UTC | #935688

drumdaddy's Avatar Comment 24 by drumdaddy

Excellent videos!

"There is something insidious about training children to believe things for which there's no evidence." - Richard Dawkins

Thu, 19 Apr 2012 11:21:14 UTC | #935699

SaganTheCat's Avatar Comment 25 by SaganTheCat

Xtian version of HHs

must have been hilarious

Thu, 19 Apr 2012 11:27:19 UTC | #935703

SaganTheCat's Avatar Comment 26 by SaganTheCat

really looking forward to this and thanks for the reminder. i remember the beeb advertising this series but as ever bbc4 seems to slip past past me when choosing what to watch. will defintiely catch this one

Thu, 19 Apr 2012 11:32:51 UTC | #935705

CJHefford's Avatar Comment 27 by CJHefford

I will be glued to the TV for this hour, the remote will be mine!

This is a superb quote and I could not agree more. I believe children should be exposed to both religious and non-religious teaching so that, armed with more knowledge, they can make an informed decision of their own. Thank God for atheism... (pun intended)

I do hope the program does not contain too many spoliers, I haven't read The God Delusion yet having just received my copy this week.

Thu, 19 Apr 2012 11:34:31 UTC | #935707

Daniel Williams's Avatar Comment 28 by Daniel Williams

Do we all serve the cult of Dawkins?

I have watched the previous two episodes and I wonder if the only thing to make this episode stand out and there fore be worthy of pre show publicity on this site is the fact that its about Richard Dawkins?

The previous episodes alone have proved to me that the series as a whole deserved a mention. Not just the one that happens to be about Richard. That seems like preaching to the choir to me.

Thu, 19 Apr 2012 11:35:17 UTC | #935708

aquilacane's Avatar Comment 29 by aquilacane

Comment 8 by squeegee

never did understand why people cry at Christian funerals. Why aren't

they all singing with joy ?

This one tipped me off early, as well. Why all the crying, do you believe grandma is going to hell? I thought this would be a good day. Surely those aren't selfish tears of loss.

Thu, 19 Apr 2012 11:52:32 UTC | #935712

rationalmind's Avatar Comment 30 by rationalmind

Comment 9 by InYourFaceNewYorker :

Please, somebody cap this and put it on YouTube!

I am going to be out when this is shown but I will watch it when I get home on BBC Iplayer. Even if someone doesn't do a live capture it is possible to download from all iplayer programmes with some free software, so I am sure this will find its way onto YouTube. There are companies that offer for a relatively small charge to provide you with a Uk IP address to access British television.

Thu, 19 Apr 2012 11:53:38 UTC | #935713