← Come Ye Out From Among Them, 3 former preachers talk about Coming Out.

Come Ye Out From Among Them, 3 former preachers talk about Coming Out. - Comments

Hobomidget's Avatar Comment 1 by Hobomidget

Oh god, listening to preachers is rather dull, even if they happen to share your beliefs. This is not even close to science.

Tue, 01 May 2012 04:27:40 UTC | #938567

Macropus's Avatar Comment 2 by Macropus

I'm afraid I could only watch about 20 minutes of this. Unfortunately when God left these peoples' lives, he didn't take the preachiness with him.

Still, good luck to them.

Tue, 01 May 2012 05:21:14 UTC | #938574

Schrodinger's Cat's Avatar Comment 3 by Schrodinger's Cat

One of the things I found most intriguing about breaking away from faith was not the intellectual arguments, which often had little real effect, but simply being able to laugh at what I'd believed in. That laughter, above all else, is what breaks the strangle hold of faith. I notice the same in the comments from the ex ministers. If breaking away from faith was purely a serious intellectual endeavour, it would be harder because faith itself portends to be serious and thoughtful. A good laugh gets right through that pretentious nonsense. Sort of makes you realise why nobody cracks a single joke in the whole Bible.

Tue, 01 May 2012 05:30:26 UTC | #938577

susanlatimer's Avatar Comment 4 by susanlatimer

Comment 3 by Schrodinger's Cat

I agree. One of the things that made me very suspicious about the whole enterprise (along with it running contrary to reason and being morally repugnant), was the utter lack of humour.

It's hard not to be suspicious when anything takes itself that seriously and demands to be taken that seriously.

It's a symptom of something being terribly wrong with the whole thinking process.

Tue, 01 May 2012 05:52:21 UTC | #938578

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 5 by Stafford Gordon

They're not yet quite up to speed, but good luck to them; I hope they don't get sucked back in.

Tue, 01 May 2012 07:14:57 UTC | #938584

jimbobjim's Avatar Comment 6 by jimbobjim

Got to about 8 mins and realised that they don't understand what the Bible means when it talks about the Heart. No wonder they left the ministry, if they miss some basic understanding.

Hey wait!!! they dissed the Bible for talking about the heart and not realising that it is just a muscle that pumps blood....then at about 18mins one of the talks about the heart creating music??

Tue, 01 May 2012 07:21:03 UTC | #938586

merlinaeus's Avatar Comment 7 by merlinaeus

Comment 3 by Schrodinger's Cat :

. Sort of makes you realise why nobody cracks a single joke in the whole Bible.

Well, I'm not so sure. What about all the puns on names in Genesis, or the antics of that buffoon Abraham at the oaks of Mamre? Or the incomprehensible parable of the unjust steward, or the tale of the Gadarene swine which is a veiled swipe at Roman occupation?

I find it impossible to imagine these stories being told without a twinkle in the eye. I think they would have been treated as starting points for rabbinic-style teaching, extemporisation and debate, rather than enshrined as the last word on the matter.

Tue, 01 May 2012 07:31:47 UTC | #938587

susanlatimer's Avatar Comment 8 by susanlatimer

I've heard arguments for humour in the bible before. One example was the "turn the other cheek" advice by Jesus which apparently is impossible not to hear without the wry, schticky delivery that Mel Brooks might give it.

But it's lost in the translation. The stories are very old and from other languages and deliver a message of sin, obedience and redemption, a message laden with unfounded promises and horrifying threats. They come with a terribly serious tone. Whatever their original intent, they were edited into an agenda that was used to manipulate human beings into submission and as stories go, I can think of many that are funnier.

I never found the tale of the Gadarene swine very funny at all. If a joke needs to be explained, it loses its value. The message that survives is one that tells you to wipe that smirk off your face if you know what's good for you.

In a literary sense, what you say is interesting. But in terms of how most people experience the bible now, there's nothing remotely funny about it.

Tue, 01 May 2012 07:47:23 UTC | #938589

susanlatimer's Avatar Comment 9 by susanlatimer

Now Jack o'Kent and Coyote, THOSE guys could be funny.

Tue, 01 May 2012 08:04:26 UTC | #938592

matsa's Avatar Comment 10 by matsa

Comment 6 by jimbobjim :

I might be just feeding the troll here, but who are you to tell them what's the correct interpretation of the bible with respect to the heart?

Tue, 01 May 2012 09:13:11 UTC | #938603

jimbobjim's Avatar Comment 11 by jimbobjim

Comment 10 by matsa :

Comment 6 by jimbobjim :

Without getting into a Bible Study about what the Bible means when it talks about The Heart - it doesn't alter ther fact that the guys on the video contradict themselves.

Tue, 01 May 2012 10:26:44 UTC | #938614

Rawhard Dickins's Avatar Comment 12 by Rawhard Dickins

When I hear all that talk about being tempted by the flesh, it reminds me of this thought: There's only one or two really important things that your parents, grandparents, and great, great grandparents did: They ate, and they had intercourse. The rest of it is fairly unimportant, and if you could bestow 3 wishes upon your children, these would be the first two, so the sooner we get over the hangups the better!

Tue, 01 May 2012 11:29:27 UTC | #938623

Schrodinger's Cat's Avatar Comment 13 by Schrodinger's Cat

Comment 7 by merlinaeus

If we ever invent a time machine, the first thing we should do is send Dave Allen back to the first century.

Tue, 01 May 2012 15:36:29 UTC | #938707

scattering-like-light's Avatar Comment 14 by scattering-like-light

Well done to them and everything, but that is quite tedious.

Tue, 01 May 2012 19:44:55 UTC | #938785

chawinwords's Avatar Comment 15 by chawinwords

Go easy folks, preachers are people and people talk about what they know. Given time, their conversations will change, once more dependent upon what they learn -- hopefully, intellectual freedom this time

Tue, 01 May 2012 20:40:34 UTC | #938801

Imaginary BFF's Avatar Comment 16 by Imaginary BFF

It's great to see these priests come out of the atheist closet, if only we could get American politicians to do the same. It's hard to imagine that only one member of the US congress has the courage to admit he doesn't believe in fairy tales.

Tue, 01 May 2012 23:12:47 UTC | #938835

Rich Wiltshir's Avatar Comment 17 by Rich Wiltshir

I'd like to have the patience to watch all of this, but the tone is so embedded in the cult from which they've escaped...

Truly, I wish them well but listening to them teaches me that there's a much bigger journey than the huge one I'd anticipated for them.

One massive enquiry that floods from this video is how people could be drawn in by these tones.

Maybe the culture gap is more vast than we'd thought? Have these guys made a large investment to escape the church or simply realised that the investment they'd made for that institution was wasted?

Have a happy life gents: and your friends and families.

Tue, 01 May 2012 23:18:15 UTC | #938838

BobHatfield's Avatar Comment 18 by BobHatfield

The purpose of the video was to speak to ministers who were afraid to come out of the atheist closet. This is why they spoke the way they did. If you have heard any of these men before, you would know that they don't always talk this way.

I have seen Brother Richard speak a couple times. He has a great way of combining scientific truths with humor and emotion. I think we desperately need this in the atheist community. It is not for everyone, but it reaches an audience we have are currently not breaking through to very much.

Wed, 02 May 2012 02:08:29 UTC | #938912

merlinaeus's Avatar Comment 19 by merlinaeus

Comment 13 by Schrodinger's Cat :

They'd have crucified him too.

Wed, 02 May 2012 06:40:13 UTC | #938944

microserf21's Avatar Comment 20 by microserf21

I managed about 6 minutes. It reminded me like watching one of those US extended adverts or the shopping channel. Good luck to them... I think?!

Wed, 02 May 2012 21:18:40 UTC | #939144

RobertJames's Avatar Comment 21 by RobertJames

I'm at 56 minutes. I'm winning.. I'm totally winning

Wed, 02 May 2012 22:23:22 UTC | #939173

HappyPrimate's Avatar Comment 22 by HappyPrimate

I've watched this twice in its entirety. There seems to be little appreciation in these comments for what these people are having to deal with in rejecting their former belief in religion and having to completely start their lives over. They are to be admired and they are and will be valuable allies. We should embrace them and support them in their efforts to help others out of religion. We all can learn from them as well as they have an insight into how people get roped into religious delusion. If you didn't watch the whole thing, you missed some really interesting information, including that there are now over 200 in The Clergy Project. That is really, really awesome.

Thu, 03 May 2012 03:04:00 UTC | #939243

Fab4John's Avatar Comment 23 by Fab4John

Congratulations, guys. Well done. We know it's not easy to turn your lives upside down. At least you, and hopefully your friends and families will be headed down the path to real truth thru science and reasoning. You will be helpful to others who are struggling with the religious fairy tales.

Ron

Thu, 03 May 2012 07:05:06 UTC | #939261

Sara's Avatar Comment 24 by Sara

Remember these guys are a subset of pastors - charismatic fundamentalists who do not have seminary training.

many mainline pastors have different points of view

Thu, 03 May 2012 14:03:02 UTC | #939356

Carl Sai Baba's Avatar Comment 25 by Carl Sai Baba

I don't know why so many people here have ass-bug infestations. A person must have a severe curiosity deficiency not to want to hear atheist preachers describe their thoughts about this stuff.

Fri, 04 May 2012 07:35:12 UTC | #939576

lewis.breland's Avatar Comment 26 by lewis.breland

Comment 25 by Carl Sai Baba :

Well said!

Fri, 04 May 2012 09:59:40 UTC | #939602

Deluno's Avatar Comment 27 by Deluno

I think there's a lot of value in the idea of doing this, but I gave up on it after a few minutes of rambling.

I think it would be a lot more valuable to do psychological studies of the experiences of people infected with religion, to more effectively help others to do so.

Sat, 05 May 2012 15:57:30 UTC | #939914