← Sean Faircloth: Do Something About the Religio-Industrial Complex

Sean Faircloth: Do Something About the Religio-Industrial Complex - Comments

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 1 by Neodarwinian

Religio-Industrial Complex!

Great coining Sean!

Some one, the IRS comes to mind, should follow the money! I have trouble believing all of this money is tax exempt. Get some real courage IRS! We need that money.

Deeply spiritual feelings my ass!!! Deep pockets for sure. Change the tax codes.

Will the Tea Party have something to say about this boondoggle?

Wed, 09 May 2012 01:58:49 UTC | #940652

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 2 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Wed, 09 May 2012 03:14:58 UTC | #940657

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 3 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Wed, 09 May 2012 03:21:02 UTC | #940659

Hobomidget's Avatar Comment 4 by Hobomidget

I would talk to Faircloth, but I am paranoid of lawyers now. I think I know how things work, but it is hard to know if someone is on your side or not; especially when you have been hardcore burned. That said. In the realm that Faircloth is involved in, he knows exactly what he is doing. Is in an excellent attorney, and honest one, because he is not afraid to talk. You have a right to question attorneys that are afraid to say anything. I learned that the uneasy way. Faircloth is very good, if not great. We are so lucky to have him in the RDF.

Wed, 09 May 2012 05:53:43 UTC | #940677

Hobomidget's Avatar Comment 5 by Hobomidget

RDF rules! others will die at our feet. Because your delusional religious ways poison the way you see the world and it hinders your ability to navigate in it. I will not work with a creationist. I not only have contempt for your religious views, creationists, I have contempt for you; my entire family falls in the category of creationists and they need a stronger kick then I can give them and I make fun of their god and their beliefs every single day, as I am a militant atheist. They fall on their face repeatedly and I have been their to save them each time, but I am so tired.. I am trilled at the idea that when I am gone they will have the thought that the only person that cared enough about them, to actually help and loose everything for them, the only one they could call....Is burning in hell. (it will be great for their psychology.)

(I know there are creationist monitoring sites like this one; which is why I wrote this.)

Wed, 09 May 2012 06:31:16 UTC | #940684

Peter Grant's Avatar Comment 6 by Peter Grant

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6dCqclYwNss Sean Faircloth: Do Something About the Religio-Industrial Complex.

They're exporting it too, damn mega churches are popping up all over Africa as well.

Another industrial complex that is also rather troubling:

Wed, 09 May 2012 07:47:58 UTC | #940687

EvN's Avatar Comment 7 by EvN

Peter

You may be interested in the article by Chipkin and Leat available on the website of the Helen Suzman Foundation. Search for "religion."

The embrace of Pentecostalism also allows young Afrikaners, like middle class Black South Africans, to retain basically conservative social attitudes, regarding the role of men and women in particular, without the association of Apartheid.

Pentecostalism is, locally, nothing but the type of mega-churches you refer to and which is so beloved by our idiot president.

Their "conservative social attitudes" very often coincide with those of the African Traditional Religions. The current furore about the House of Traditional Leaders wanting to remove Constitutional protection for gays is a case in point.

They will not succeed, but the taxpayer pays and pays and pays for this patently ridiculous conversation to take place in the House AND subsidizes the conversation in the mega-churches and elsewhere.

Wed, 09 May 2012 09:13:16 UTC | #940692

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 8 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Wed, 09 May 2012 09:23:40 UTC | #940696

Agrajag's Avatar Comment 9 by Agrajag

Comment 8 by Metamag

Wow, that's pretty dumb to post without any sort of clarification. I think that would constitute a troll post.

I second that. Flagged.
Steve

Wed, 09 May 2012 10:56:35 UTC | #940707

AtheistEgbert's Avatar Comment 10 by AtheistEgbert

Ridiculous extravagance is not only confined to ministers and religionists.

And guess where she now works...

Wed, 09 May 2012 11:49:42 UTC | #940712

sheepcat's Avatar Comment 11 by sheepcat

How are Americans not roaming the streets in armed gangs?

Not that I am advocating such actions!

If this was going on in the UK I am pretty sure it wouldn't be safe for these ministers to walk the streets.

Bonkers!

Wed, 09 May 2012 13:01:54 UTC | #940718

RobertJames's Avatar Comment 12 by RobertJames

If religion is anything it is intellectual pollution and should be taxed accordingly. This is quite clearly a business venture that preys on naivety and innocence.

Wed, 09 May 2012 14:47:39 UTC | #940729

Sean_W's Avatar Comment 13 by Sean_W

This sounds like a fun project, and seeing as I live in Houston, home of Lakewood Church (Think Joel and Victoria Osteen) it really shouldn't be too much trouble to find people following in their footsteps.

I'll try at least once.

----//----

For those of you not familiar with Lakewood Church, they hold services in what used to be the Compaq center which is were Houston's NBA team the Rockets used to play. Here are a few pictures to give you a better idea: Lakewood Church : Again : Finally.

Yeah, it creeps us out too. People literally go there just to experience the heebee jeebees.

Wed, 09 May 2012 14:50:05 UTC | #940730

ZenDruid's Avatar Comment 14 by ZenDruid

Clergy people are entertainers. Their habitual audiences come away on a weekly basis with very uplifting feelings of fear, shame and guilt ... and sometimes even, 'joyous' 'loving' mobs spontaneously form in the wake of a particularly solid performance.

Tax exemption only makes sense in terms of the charity that was traditionally expected from any local parsonage. Since the federal government has been much more effective (and egalitarian) than any church at actually providing continuing monetary 'charity' to citizens, that particular argument doesn't carry much weight any more. Certainly, some churches actually provide support to the unfortunate, but it's usually with the expectation that the unfortunate pay some 'spiritual tribute' to the church in order to qualify. That seems like an underhanded bit of extortion to me.

Tax religions like any other corporate member of the entertainment industry. The dollar figure actually given toward charity should legitimately qualify for a deduction, but only in relation to their total take.

Wed, 09 May 2012 17:48:56 UTC | #940753

Peter Grant's Avatar Comment 15 by Peter Grant

Comment 7 by EvN

Thank you, that's exactly what I'm talking about. These happy-clappers are insidious.

The link seems to be broken though.

Wed, 09 May 2012 20:47:37 UTC | #940773

Mr DArcy's Avatar Comment 16 by Mr DArcy

Whether churches are taxed or not, the total amount of spending power in society remains the same at any given time. So the Crouchs spend it on private jets etc. , but if the government had it in taxes, what would they spend it on? Cruise missiles? Drones? Social welfare? The private jet manufacturers etc. would be up in arms!

Wed, 09 May 2012 21:02:56 UTC | #940774

ZenDruid's Avatar Comment 17 by ZenDruid

Comment 16 by Mr DArcy :

That doesn't pass muster as an argument. Are you kidding?

Here's an illustrative scenario: Megapastor X takes pride in coaxing tithes from elderly Social Security beneficiaries. The 'charity' he actually performs takes the form of political campaign contributions and expenditures for lobbying. In general, tens of thousands of self-appointed "clergy" are actively dodging the tax man, and playing Lord of the Manor to boot. That is, if they are astute enough to have all their ducks in a row.

Wed, 09 May 2012 21:46:54 UTC | #940780

bentleyd's Avatar Comment 18 by bentleyd

Has anyone thought of tapping into the insider knowledge of the members of The Clergy Project? It seems like they could be good double-agents for sneaking out undisclosed financial records that these churches aren't normally required to disclose to the IRS.

Wed, 09 May 2012 22:03:52 UTC | #940783

EvN's Avatar Comment 19 by EvN

Peter Grant @ 15

Sorry about the broken link. Try this.

Thu, 10 May 2012 06:08:26 UTC | #940826

Starcrash's Avatar Comment 20 by Starcrash

I wish you luck, Sean, and hope we can bring about some changes. However sigh if we keep electing religious presidents, their bias is going to prevent their action on this issue.

Thu, 10 May 2012 10:44:08 UTC | #940840

RevJimBob's Avatar Comment 21 by RevJimBob

It is probably because I have had a couple of drinks tonight, but if you park your cursor over the video, the red Youtube 'play' button lights red and makes Sean look as though he is wearing a clown's nose. Moving the cursor on and off the video area makes it look as if the nose is flashing.

Just saying...