← "We Believe" Todd Stiefel speaking at the Reason Rally

"We Believe" Todd Stiefel speaking at the Reason Rally - Comments

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 1 by mordacious1

Well, there goes that suit...

Fri, 11 May 2012 21:55:53 UTC | #941090

Sample's Avatar Comment 2 by Sample

Whooo whoo, there we are at 04:45! :-j This was a great day. It didn't seem like it was that rainy but now looking at the vid, I guess it was. The film editing on this vid was a nice touch.

Mike

Sat, 12 May 2012 00:24:55 UTC | #941107

Net's Avatar Comment 3 by Net

not bad ... but disappointing that he uses the politically over correct LGBT instead of the original GLBT

Sat, 12 May 2012 00:37:20 UTC | #941112

Metamag's Avatar Comment 4 by Metamag

Really strange that the podium canopy let the rain in on the speakers.

Also people need to learn how to make signs, you don't do them on A4 sized paper, and scribble on it with your hand...you know...because you are in the crowd...and cameras are likely to far away. :(

Sat, 12 May 2012 09:20:49 UTC | #941157

Metamag's Avatar Comment 5 by Metamag

Comment 3 by Net :

politically over correct LGBT instead of the original GLBT

What?? jesus imaginary christ!

Sat, 12 May 2012 09:23:03 UTC | #941158

HardNosedSkeptic's Avatar Comment 6 by HardNosedSkeptic

So there were some protesters at the Reason Rally (see about 04:55)? That doesn’t make much sense to me. Why would anybody want to protest about reason?

Sat, 12 May 2012 14:13:45 UTC | #941183

All About Meme's Avatar Comment 7 by All About Meme

Thank-you for funding that event, Todd Stiefel! An incredibly generous donation, by any standard.

Sat, 12 May 2012 21:13:36 UTC | #941233

Quine's Avatar Comment 8 by Quine

Sometimes the rain was really coming down. I remember watching Tim Minchin wiping the water off the piano keys as he was playing them.

Sat, 12 May 2012 21:32:57 UTC | #941234

scottburdick's Avatar Comment 9 by scottburdick

Several Christians I spoke to told me that god caused the rain out of displeasure at all the blasphemy. I replied that god seemed to hate Atheists more than he loved Christians, since he never brought rain to Texas the previous summer to end their drought and wildfires, despite the governor's repeated calls for the majority Christians of his state to pray for rain.

My solution, then? Rick Perry should invite the Reason Rally to Texas next year. Todd Stiefel and Richard Dawkins could be modern day miracle workers! Wouldn't it be nice to have all those Western states competing to get Atheists to bless them with their presence?

Sun, 13 May 2012 11:24:06 UTC | #941273

Rich Wiltshir's Avatar Comment 10 by Rich Wiltshir

Great progress and a good old American rallying call. Maybe I'm too British in my outlook to appreciate the whooops as they're perceived in the US?

Onward and upward, the dialogue continues and the cults are receding, methinks. But only evidence will demonstrate if I'm right.

Sun, 13 May 2012 12:05:47 UTC | #941278

Dave H's Avatar Comment 11 by Dave H

I liked that speech. Shame there weren't more protesters; it would've been a chance for them to learn something. I think they would've been embarassed to disagree with any of the moral points that Todd made so well.

Mon, 14 May 2012 17:37:38 UTC | #941433

bluebird's Avatar Comment 12 by bluebird

Just noticed that his foundation will match contributions to Camp Quest up to $50,000 :D

www.campquest.org

Tue, 15 May 2012 17:46:34 UTC | #941645

njwong's Avatar Comment 13 by njwong

That was a great rah-rah-rallying speech from Todd. According to Wikipedia, in Martin Luther King's "I Have A Dream" speech, "I Have A Dream" is said 8 times (link). Todd's "We Believe" is said 9 times. But what is memorable 9th one it was:

And most of all, we believe freedom is based on “We the People”, not “They the Clergy”.

Well done!

Thu, 17 May 2012 07:20:20 UTC | #941981

njwong's Avatar Comment 14 by njwong

Comment 5 by Metamag :

Comment 3 by Net :

politically over correct LGBT instead of the original GLBT

What?? jesus imaginary christ!

You know, I have never noticed that the acronym LGBT did not match the term "Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender" before. In most articles, gay terms are invariably referenced as "Gay Community", "Gay Parents", "Gay Marriage" etc. Where the fully spelt out long form term is used, I normally see the ordering "Gay and Lesbian" instead of "Lesbian and Gay".

I can't believe that there is actually a section in the Wikipedia entry talking about the acronym variants!

But GLBT does have a problem as it is very close to GBLT (Gourmet Bacon Lettuce and Tomato sandwich), so perhaps that is why the LGBT acronym is preferred :-)

Thu, 17 May 2012 07:49:08 UTC | #941985

Todd Stiefel's Avatar Comment 15 by Todd Stiefel

@njwong, thanks for noticing the usage of anaphora (word/phrase repetition). I studied "I Have A Dream" before writing my speech and used several of King's techniques. There is a great article on some of the things he utilized to make his talk more effective: http://sixminutes.dlugan.com/speech-analysis-dream-martin-luther-king/

Todd