← Richard Dawkins & Lawrence Krauss Tribute to Christopher Hitchens - 2012 Global Atheist Convention

Richard Dawkins & Lawrence Krauss Tribute to Christopher Hitchens - 2012 Global Atheist Convention - Comments

Sample's Avatar Comment 1 by Sample

Prof.Krauss at 10:20

"...to simply enjoy people as people..."

Very nice.

Mike

Sun, 27 May 2012 04:30:49 UTC | #943762

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 2 by mordacious1

Boy, I miss Hitch....no one, absolutely no one, can replace this wonderful man.

Sun, 27 May 2012 07:15:32 UTC | #943781

All About Meme's Avatar Comment 3 by All About Meme

It just plain SUCKS that he's gone.

Sun, 27 May 2012 08:27:23 UTC | #943789

Quine's Avatar Comment 4 by Quine

Awesome.

Sun, 27 May 2012 09:05:52 UTC | #943791

UncleJJ2's Avatar Comment 5 by UncleJJ2

Wonderful eulogies from Richard and Lawrence. Thanks to both of you for the kind words about a man I so much admired. It brings back treasured memories.

The video tribute has some of the best of the 100s of hours of video we have of him on Youtube, thank goodness that is preserved for posterity. He was so eloquent I can listen to him for hours, and will do.

Sun, 27 May 2012 09:56:30 UTC | #943800

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 6 by Stafford Gordon

Beautiful.

Sun, 27 May 2012 15:38:51 UTC | #943831

nurnord's Avatar Comment 7 by nurnord

I miss the man.

Richard, thank you for signing The Ancestor's Tale and The Greatest Show On Earth in Bristol on tuesday. You may just recall, I asked if 2 were a little cheeky, then I offered my hand !

Take care.

Sun, 27 May 2012 16:13:47 UTC | #943832

phil rimmer's Avatar Comment 8 by phil rimmer

We did indeed get a whole candle worth's of light out of Hitch.

Fierce, fearless. Fucking brilliant.

Sun, 27 May 2012 17:24:15 UTC | #943836

Lapithes's Avatar Comment 9 by Lapithes

Wonderful. Makes me all the more worried about the fact that "thefilmarchive" is no longer on youtube and we're missing hours of C-SPAN videos with Christopher Hitchens.

Sun, 27 May 2012 18:41:27 UTC | #943841

MAJORPAIN's Avatar Comment 10 by MAJORPAIN

I miss Hitch so much. I can't even imagine how Richard and other people who actually knew him must feel.

Keep posting his stuff. He is a true asset to...I was going to say atheism, but I will say humanity. He was a treasure and he is missed.

Sun, 27 May 2012 20:20:16 UTC | #943845

Capt. Bloodeye's Avatar Comment 11 by Capt. Bloodeye

I am reminded now of the sheer power of the Hitch. I miss this great person terribly. What a damn shame he went so young. Sigh.

Sun, 27 May 2012 20:29:15 UTC | #943846

HardNosedSkeptic's Avatar Comment 12 by HardNosedSkeptic

I thought those were three great tributes to Christopher. Many thanks to Richard and Lawrence for their contributions to that.

I, too, am still missing him. I wish I could have given him a piece of my life as a gift.

Sun, 27 May 2012 20:33:22 UTC | #943847

Capt. Bloodeye's Avatar Comment 13 by Capt. Bloodeye

'What would Christopher do!'. Classic.

Sun, 27 May 2012 20:36:39 UTC | #943848

HardNosedSkeptic's Avatar Comment 14 by HardNosedSkeptic

Comment 9 by uuaschbaer :

It might be a nice idea if the Richard Dawkins Foundation considered setting up its own “Christopher Hitchens memorial website”, so that the vast amount of Hitchens material could be preserved and collected in one place? I think it could be a wonderful resource as well as a fitting tribute to him.

Sun, 27 May 2012 20:46:39 UTC | #943849

ConnedCatholic's Avatar Comment 15 by ConnedCatholic

HardNosedSkeptic - that is an extremly good idea.

Sun, 27 May 2012 20:57:31 UTC | #943850

ConnedCatholic's Avatar Comment 16 by ConnedCatholic

And if donations are necessary...... Need I say more!

Sun, 27 May 2012 21:25:42 UTC | #943855

Stuart Pullinger's Avatar Comment 17 by Stuart Pullinger

Lets us never forget all he has done. Let us keep his voice heard. True immortality is achieved through action that can be remembered. Hitchens will be remembered, his life will affect us all. Thank you, Christopher. You were a truly Great Man.

Sun, 27 May 2012 21:47:28 UTC | #943857

quarecuss's Avatar Comment 18 by quarecuss

Thanks, I needed that. 3 good strong belts of Christopher spirit!

Sun, 27 May 2012 21:58:15 UTC | #943861

Vitalic's Avatar Comment 19 by Vitalic

I too think there should be a complete as possible collection of Hitch video material assembled, even though many of his ideas are immortalised in his written works, I think of people in generations to come who will not have seen Christopher's mesmerising and inspiring oration first hand, and what a tragedy it would be if portions of it were lost due to the inherently transient nature of the internet, will YouTube still be around in 50 years to come? If YouTube were to cease to exist tomorrow how much of that material would be unrecoverable I wonder? His voice was such an integral part of his overall power as an intellectual that it has to be preserved and not allowed to gradually erode away over time. One good solution may to be to create a .torrent of the complete collection and allow it to be shared organically rather than having one single website responsible for hosting the material indefinitely, this is similar to what Wikileaks did with the "insurance" file which supposedly contained secret material that could be released if anything ever happened to the directors of the organisation. We need a Hitch insurance file, insurance against the chance that the material that I have spent inordinate periods of time and many a late night enjoying and absorbing is not available for future generations who will most likely still be fighting the same fight and therefore benefit from it immeasurably.

Sun, 27 May 2012 23:22:41 UTC | #943879

cheebachops's Avatar Comment 20 by cheebachops

True hero

Mon, 28 May 2012 00:10:54 UTC | #943883

alf1200's Avatar Comment 21 by alf1200

I have shed more tears when Hitch died than when my own father died. I miss him.

Mon, 28 May 2012 00:39:00 UTC | #943885

RDfan's Avatar Comment 22 by RDfan

Both RD and LK gave wonderful tributes but the most fitting, the most exhilarating, the most hair-raising of all was to hear CH in his own words and voice -- amazing!

Mon, 28 May 2012 04:13:28 UTC | #943895

Peter Grant's Avatar Comment 23 by Peter Grant

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QfZISH7NHBg http://youtube.com/watch?v=2ImIziEINXI http://youtube.com/watch?v=iR0GyYaeI-k Richard Dawkins & Lawrence Krauss Tribute to Christopher Hitchens - 2012 Global Atheist Convention

Remember Hitch!

Mon, 28 May 2012 08:23:39 UTC | #943922

jbkaffe's Avatar Comment 24 by jbkaffe

Cheers Hitch.

Catch you later on youtube. :-)

Mon, 28 May 2012 09:32:27 UTC | #943936

Naturalist1's Avatar Comment 25 by Naturalist1

Since his death I have referred to Hitch as our modern Voltaire....I miss that increadible combination of his mind, voice, tenacity and humour. As Richard so perfectly opened with, "We've lost our most powerful rhetorical artillary piece.....". How could it be said better? I for one am so very happy to have him to learn from.....

Mon, 28 May 2012 13:50:53 UTC | #943974

AW's Avatar Comment 26 by AW

It's reassuring to see that there are others who feel as I do, who miss him as much as I do, although I never had the privilege of meeting him or hearing him speak.

I dread the day when I can no longer find a clip of Hitch that I have never seen before.

Mon, 28 May 2012 14:17:19 UTC | #943978

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 27 by Stafford Gordon

14: HardNosedSkeptic.

Excellent idea!

Mon, 28 May 2012 17:46:36 UTC | #944008

Beachbum's Avatar Comment 28 by Beachbum

There are few things I cannot get enough of in life, but Hitch is one. Any compilation of the man's wit and wisdom dispensed as only he can do it, is a project I have already collated for myself, and I would definitely appreciate a more complete compilation.

Mon, 28 May 2012 20:25:32 UTC | #944046

Rich Wiltshir's Avatar Comment 29 by Rich Wiltshir

He was a star that went nova: glowing and expanding in the sky of our minds.

We all die, but few shine so brightly or create such a stellar effect as did Christopher Hitchens!

Mon, 28 May 2012 22:06:34 UTC | #944084