← Religion

Religion - Comments

Veronique's Avatar Comment 1 by Veronique

What a delightful and uplifting video to accompany my breakfast. I know it's supposed to be old; I have never seen it. It has set my humour for the day and I am pleased.

I loved the size and raucousness of the audience. That is heartening as well. I keep on needing hope. Today will be a fine day.

Thu, 22 Mar 2007 16:31:00 UTC | #24685

BaronOchs's Avatar Comment 2 by BaronOchs

Veronique I was just watching it over supper lol!

Thu, 22 Mar 2007 16:38:00 UTC | #24686

Yorker's Avatar Comment 3 by Yorker

Yes, it's old but still makes me laugh. He did another one about The Ten Commandments that he reduces to The Two Commandments, very funny also.

Thu, 22 Mar 2007 16:41:00 UTC | #24687

Yorker's Avatar Comment 4 by Yorker

Here's George's Ten Commandments link.

Thu, 22 Mar 2007 16:45:00 UTC | #24688

Jared's Avatar Comment 5 by Jared

'God bless Joe Pesci!'

This has always been one of my favorite Carlin rants, without a doubt. Along the same lines, I also enjoy his revision of the Ten Commandments (which may have been posted here once before, I can't recall now). But if it hasn't been, it should be :)

Thu, 22 Mar 2007 16:50:00 UTC | #24689

Jared's Avatar Comment 6 by Jared

Ha, Yorker beat me to it...should have refreshed the page before posting...funny stuff!

Thu, 22 Mar 2007 16:51:00 UTC | #24690

shetlandforpeace's Avatar Comment 7 by shetlandforpeace

This is great. Loved the bit about praying to Joe Pesci. I watched the last part of that Channel 4 programme on 'greatest stand-ups' with Billy Connolly at #1 - this guy wipes the floor with him.

Can someone help me out, though - I take it George Carlin is American but I've never heard of him. What's his story?

Thu, 22 Mar 2007 16:54:00 UTC | #24691

Yorker's Avatar Comment 8 by Yorker

7. Comment #26968 by shetlandforpeace

Yes, he's American - New Yorker I think. I first came across George in the USA, he's like a Noam Chomsky of comedy, not afraid to highlight the shortcomings of his own country. There's a lot of stuff on the net about him going way back to the start of his career. Like Conolly, I'm Scots but I prefer Carlin overall, he tackles serious issues in his own unique way.

Thu, 22 Mar 2007 17:02:00 UTC | #24693

shetlandforpeace's Avatar Comment 9 by shetlandforpeace

Just seen the Ten Commandments one - even better than the religion one! I love the sarcastic tone of this type of stuff. Why do believers deserve any respect? What makes them so special, at least in their own eyes?

Thu, 22 Mar 2007 17:04:00 UTC | #24694

Yorker's Avatar Comment 10 by Yorker

I'll try to find a great routine he did on the decline of American technical skills, it includes the marvellous line:

"You know, we can't make a VCR worth a fuck anymore but we can sure bomb the shit out of your country!"

Thu, 22 Mar 2007 17:11:00 UTC | #24695

shetlandforpeace's Avatar Comment 11 by shetlandforpeace

Cheers Yorker, when I get the time I'll look further into George. Hopefully he's got a web site.

I've never really got into Connolly. I think his material isn't as meaningful. Sure, he's got an amusing way of telling stories, but George's stuff seems to be cutting edge. He certainly expresses MY frustration.

Thu, 22 Mar 2007 17:13:00 UTC | #24696

John P's Avatar Comment 12 by John P

If you like Carlin, but are not that familiar with him, get his book, "When will Jesus Bring The Pork Chops", with his picture on the cover superimposed at the Last Supper. Better yet, get the audio book, because he reads his own book. It's like listening to a very long, hilarious stand up routine. I think this Religion bit is part of the book. So is the Ten Commandments.

Amazon Link

Thu, 22 Mar 2007 17:27:00 UTC | #24699

catchy_nick's Avatar Comment 13 by catchy_nick

Richard actually uses Carlin's bit "religion has actually convinced people...." in The God Delusion. Anyways I've seen this guy live and he is such a GOD!! (no pun intended). I strongly recommend his HBO specials, especially the ones after 1987. If you guys enjoyed this I strongly recommend a commedian named Bill Hicks.
P.S. I agree with John P about "When will jesus bring the pork chops", I also recommend, "Naplam and silly putty" and "Brain Droppings", both by Carlin.

Thu, 22 Mar 2007 17:37:00 UTC | #24701

neander's Avatar Comment 14 by neander

Great! I BELIEVE in Jo Pesci!

Thu, 22 Mar 2007 19:30:00 UTC | #24713

AtheistJunkie's Avatar Comment 15 by AtheistJunkie

"If there's a god, may he strike me dead"....................Nothing, ah well.

Thu, 22 Mar 2007 19:32:00 UTC | #24714

fonex_86's Avatar Comment 16 by fonex_86

AtheistJunkie,

I've been asking the same thing for 6 years now..... and you expect results in 6 seconds?!?!?!!

Shame on you, shame on you...... =D

Thu, 22 Mar 2007 20:06:00 UTC | #24725

Estragon's Avatar Comment 17 by Estragon

If there is a God may he knock this website off the web!

well if you're reading this god doesn't exist, as you may have already concluded.

Thu, 22 Mar 2007 20:13:00 UTC | #24727

AtheistJunkie's Avatar Comment 18 by AtheistJunkie

fonex, this comment is for this posting. I have been saying this since I doubted the existence of this fairy tale creature. And that was 23 years ago....Cheers

Thu, 22 Mar 2007 20:32:00 UTC | #24730

Shuggy's Avatar Comment 19 by Shuggy

There's an excellent chart in Wikipedia

showing how the 10 Commandments are divided in three different denominations. As he says, having 10 is "a marketting decision"

Thu, 22 Mar 2007 20:33:00 UTC | #24731

Lord_Satorious's Avatar Comment 20 by Lord_Satorious

Along with Lenny Bruce (one of Carlins' influences) and Richard Pryor, George Carlin is one of the three godfather's of stand up comedy. His 'seven dirty words' bit is a classic, and still very relevant because he was criticizing the FCC. His old material when he acted goofy with fantastic cultural observations is still great, but his more modern social commentary material is especially critical and biting, yet remains hilarious. Only Carlin can make suicide and rape funny. Yes, rape, which involves Porky Pig and Elmer Fudd.

shetlandforpeace, I can't believe you've never heard of George Carlin! I recommend you check out pretty much anything by him. His HBO comedy specials (over a dozen!) are all excellent, but he's getting older now, and a bit rant prone lately.

Thu, 22 Mar 2007 21:33:00 UTC | #24737

RickM's Avatar Comment 21 by RickM

These two vid's definitely belong on GodTube.Com

Thu, 22 Mar 2007 22:05:00 UTC | #24740

Logicel's Avatar Comment 22 by Logicel

Carlin, native son of the NYC neighborhood, Morningside Heights, is a comic of such professional potency, effortlessly delivering lines perfectly via content, inflection and timing, that Joe Pesci can only be considered a lesser God to Carlin's supreme and dazzling divinity.

Fri, 23 Mar 2007 02:21:00 UTC | #24759

Apemanblues's Avatar Comment 23 by Apemanblues

George Carlin is one of the best (if not THE best) stand-up comedians of all time.

Fri, 23 Mar 2007 04:15:00 UTC | #24783

scottishgeologist's Avatar Comment 24 by scottishgeologist

I find Carlin so funny, it actually starts to hurt. Man's a genius

And in amazing aside, he also did the voice for the American version of "Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends"

Now that's versatility!

Fri, 23 Mar 2007 05:11:00 UTC | #24793

Oromasdes1978's Avatar Comment 25 by Oromasdes1978

Should anyone need further info on George, please consult Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure and Bogus Journey! Also Kevin Smith's Dogma where ironically he plays a catholic priest!
I rate this guy completely from his 7 words you should never say on tv to the performances above, he is very funny! Still like that whole bit about god allowing hunger, rape, genocide etc but its ok cos "he loves you"!!!

Fri, 23 Mar 2007 05:13:00 UTC | #24794

tieInterceptor's Avatar Comment 26 by tieInterceptor

"These two vid's definitely belong on GodTube.Com"

! that webpage is scary

Fri, 23 Mar 2007 05:42:00 UTC | #24808

Planeswalker's Avatar Comment 27 by Planeswalker

Awesome, really awesome

Fri, 23 Mar 2007 06:42:00 UTC | #24823

Monsterbeach's Avatar Comment 28 by Monsterbeach

Absolutely dead on. Pure genius.

Fri, 23 Mar 2007 16:21:00 UTC | #24966

Veronique's Avatar Comment 29 by Veronique

Thanks Yorker for the link to the ten commandments. It's 10.30am here and I have just voted in our state elections. Time for a cuppa and another laugh!

Another good day coming up! I'll go to youtube and find more of Carlin. New Yorkers seem to have a talent for taking the piss. Good stuff.

Cheers